Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bouguereau

Attempting this reproduction of a painting by the master Bouguereau was quite a challenge for me. My teacher wanted me to learn how to use the style which was used for the original. It was done in many layers. I fussed and whined the whole time. In the first stages, it was in black and white. I hated to admit it, but I loved it just like that. Then I was allowed to use only one color to mix with black and white - alizarin. (Ok, maybe I cheated a little with some umber in her hair a little something in her skin)

Mine is certainly a far cry from the original, but I actually like her very much.
If you'd like to own the original, I'm sure you'll be out of luck. If, however, you'd like to purchace my reproduction, visit my Etsy shop by clicking  at "Bouguereau Reproduction." 


Click Beautiful Faces to enjoy a lovely Etsy treasury (collection of related art pieces) of lovely ladies.

2 comments:

  1. Great post and your portrait of the young girl looks very nice alongside the original. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your version is great. I love the skin tones and the expression on her face. Great work.
    Thank you for the comment in my blog!

    ReplyDelete