Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Amelia*

How do you capture the person, not just the physical likeness?


How sweet is this little one!
Some parts of this painting came so easily for me.
For one, I learned that I love painting with purple - so uncomplicated!.  Just add white as needed... how simple!
Second, I learned that it's the imperfections that add to - not detract from - the story I want to paint... little wisps of hair sticking out here and there, a collar rolled over...


When I was given this commission, I had one overarching desire.  That was to honor who she was without emphasizing what she had.  The physical characteristics which are indicators of Downs Syndrome were a part of her, but they did not define her.  I so wanted to honor this little one through my humble brush strokes... a beautiful, sweet, happy child.

'[SOLD]

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. It makes me cry ~ my test for a good poem works on pictures, too. I love all your pictures of children.

    ReplyDelete