Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Oranges Still Life 1


I hope this makes your mouth water for the taste of citrus.
Paintings are visual, but I'd like to think that my paintings bring about an extra sense. In this case taste.  Sometimes I hope the viewer almost hears the wind or the cow's moo. Maybe they'll breathe in and imagine the scent of the fresh air or flower. Maybe they'll want to touch the rough paint of a painting done with a palette knife.  Or even better... that magical other sense, the sense of wonder... I wonder who peeled that... I wonder if it's juicy... I wonder if it's sweet or sour... I wonder if she'll eat all three... I wonder why chickens don't like the taste of citrus...

Just some plain old oranges... such a simple, yet lovely (in my humble opinion) still life... 

I guess I don't use the color of orange much in my paintings. While working on this, I used up a tube of orange that I bought for my very first art lesson twelve years ago.  The five other tubes from that set were used and replaced long ago. It kind of made me wistful to squeeze out that last dab of paint.

I used used this same reference photo for a painting about five years agoThen I wrote a little poem about all the words like "orange" that don't rhyme with anything.
Words like  purple... orange... silver... rhythm... else... circle... music... 
woman... month... chaos...
Last week my niece was painting oranges with me.  I told her about the poem and asked her if she could think of any words without rhyming partners.  Without a second's hesitation she said, "Rumpelstiltskin!"  Ha ha ha!  Well, I wasn't expecting that, but I guess that's another one.
Are there any others?

Original Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

5 comments:

  1. Ok, think I may have a solution, it's going to foxfire. As I have mentioned before I sure am enjoying the quotes and your paintings, usually gives me something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I always love getting your comments.

      Delete
  3. As a coincidence I was making orange pickle today! But this one accentuated the real citrus aroma around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm love a good coincidence.
      But... what is an orange pickle?

      Delete