Friday, July 24, 2020

Harvesting Sunflowers... For the Chickens? or the Squirrels?

Sunflowers are the best.
I love them. I've painted a few.
I think row of sunflowers belongs in every good-sized garden.

My sister had a great row of sunflowers this year, so I thought I'd harvest them.  The chickens would be so pleased!  Right? 

Such a pretty row!
When they droop, it's time.
That should fill the three buckets I brought.
Rub the prickly fuzzy off.
Rip the petals off.
I wonder how many seeds are packed into each head.
(Google says about 1,200.)
These little ones get to keep their petals and get
to come live in a vase in my kitchen for a while.
The hens came running.
They took a peck... and said no thanks.
What!!! Ungrateful chickens!
But the squirrels had a fine time!
"I'll have 1,200 seeds, please. 
I'll leave 2,400 seed shell halves for you."
They'd eat all around the edges from the outside in.
"The purple ones are smaller. I might need two."
No need to share.  There was enough for everyone. 
And, they called their relatives.
The squirrels were also ungrateful.
No one cleaned up after themselves.
My whole backyard looks like this.
Sunflower middle surrounded by seed shells.
So funny!  They'd carry them around to a good spot.
Some were bigger than the squirrel eating them!

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely perfect post! You need a name for your sunflower establishment...The Sassy Squirrel Sunflower Diner. Or something like that! I love how they eat these. Fascinating, as well as annoying lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect my squirrels (and the relatives that they've invited over) to be perched on my back deck waiting for a new sunflower delivery in the morning!

      Delete
  2. You clearly have discerning chickens - haha! I'm amazed at how much a squirrel can pack away in one sitting, but they are messy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I once a squirrel claimed a sunflower, he was pretty focused on finishing it even if he had to drag it with him.

      Delete