Thursday, May 4, 2023

I Like Thursday 5/23

 Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like making these little bags using the Holland Pouch pattern
So far, I've done about 4 dozen and used up so many little scraps.
Each one begins with a little quilted rectangle. 
I've never quilted before and have fallen in love with that part of the process.
FYI - I started making some kind of little bag for our annual family
gathering for each G4 (great grand kid) back when there were just 7 of them. 
There are 36 now!

I like my greenhouse...
a.k.a. upstairs bathroom that gets lots of sun,
and a door that can be closed to keep the cat out.
Lots of cucumber and okra plants started!

I like having a "helper" when I sew.

I like watching the dogwoods bloom.. 
The month of April belongs to them.

LeeAnne gave several other prompts to think about. 
Here are a few quick answers to them:

Are you a morning person or a night owl? what do you like about being this way? Would you prefer being different?

I'm a morning person. My whole life, I've hopped out of bed and gotten started with the day. I have to admit, however, that with retirement, I've slowed down on that hopping and going first thing.  I like a little sit in the chair and do computer or book stuff before I get going. I do like to get must-do tasks checked off the list before heading up to the art room or out to the garden.

Make a list of some of your favorite smells.... scents... 
Vanilla
A hot meal on the stove or in the oven
Honeysuckle

Do you speak more than one language? What was is like to learn it? Is there a language you'd like to learn, please tell us why.
I took a year of French in high school, but very little stuck...
The town I grew up in had a large deaf community, and they came to our church. When I was in junior high, I became very interested in learning sign language. I sat with them, watched and learned from the interpreter, and signed the songs with them. During high school, I moved into the role of interpreting / leading in the song part of the services.  On Wednesdays I'd pick up an order of service for the next week to see which songs we'd be singing.  Then I'd make sure I knew every word and look up those I was unsure of. I'd practice the songs then be ready on Sunday morning. And that was how I became fluent in sign language. Now... it's been a long time since I've done any signing, but I bet it would come back to me if I brushed up on it.

Are there words in other languages that sound fun to you, or even English words that you like and make you happy? 
I'm sure it's super wordy-nerdy, but I actually keep a list of words I absolutely love. I'll choose a few:
mondegreen - the mishearing of lyrics of a song
circumlocution - the use of an unnecessarily large number of words to express an idea
breviloquent - concise, using very few words
raconteur - one who tells anecdotes in an amusing or skillful way
megillah - long involved story or account
retronym - term created to distinguish an older version
penultimate - the one before the last one

12 comments:

  1. Your helper looks exhausted from helping. That is quite the nice bathroom, er, greenhouse for your veggie plants! I love the fragrance of honeysuckle. I used to carefully pull on the blooms to try to get the sweet stuff at the end of a bloom. Kudos to you for teaching yourself to sign - what a beautiful language!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, "helper" is not a very accurate word to describe the cat... Interestingly enough, his prized place to perch is the very tip of the ironing board.
      All the plants are now outside and in their summer spots. Grow, little plants, grow!!!

      Delete
  2. Your sewing buddy looks pretty chill there. Good thing he leaves you so much room to work! I see yet another similarity between our two - Wilbs will not leave plants alone, so I have very few in my house! I enjoyed this post and learning a bit more about you! Now I need to get my Thursday post written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those yellow kitties... Yes, he loves to chew the leaves of houseplants. From spring to fall I leave them outside on the banister. In winter I keep the ones he just cannot stay away from in the art room where there's a door to close. Doesn't matter, He runs over and gets a bite of leaf whenever he gets a chance.

      Delete
  3. You've got some great photos! I like that you have an owl guarding your seedlings. Um... your helper looks a little worn out. LOL Dogwoods! yay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That crazy-eyed owl! He makes me smile. All those seedlings are outside in the ground now. We'll see what they give us in July!
      And the "helper"... Hmph! Ha ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Oh, good! I do to. Sometimes I'll hear or see a word in a random place and think, "I need that word!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. starting with your word list! I just love words and a few are new to me. I recently saw an article with lots of reader comments on cup of Jo about misunderstanding lyrics, hilarious. Your bag idea is terrific, who doesn't love a bag, and each child knows they are part of the family and matter. I like the owl watching your greenhouse starts and protecting them
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I love words! What's my blog name? Etsy name? Ahhh... Word Weaver Art!!
      The whole lyrics thing... I am the worst! It's a real disability. I made up a word for it... "dyslyricia" (Kind of like dyslexia when you get letters turned around when reading and dyscalculia when you get numbers mixed up when doing math an dysgraphia when you struggle with writing).
      I love, Love, LOVE that you see the point to the bags... they know they are part of a family and they matter!

      Delete
  6. Your helper looks like he's asleep on the job, LOL. Wow, to all those pretty bags you've sewn. I'm sure it is a treat for them to get such a gift. I need to start my sowing as well now that I think freezing rain has ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! We just move from sewing to sowing along with the seassons!

      Delete