Thursday, October 5, 2023

I Like Thursday 10/23

 Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like that I have completely finished this art journal!
There's a completed project on every page!
And there's a brand new one ready to begin.

I like watching these young hens. 
I like (actually love) candy corn!
But, I never eat the white parts.
I like the view from the upstairs window... 
A dozen (okay... 16) chickens in the grass...
a tired-but-still-producing garden...
my red benches... our winding drive...
I like (and am annoyed by) our squirrels.
On one hand, they're so cute. Balance that with the other hand,
they eat hickory nuts and throw the sharp shells on our deck, they sneak in to eat the chicken's food, they make our birdfeeders their own, they pick tomatoes and take one bite... I could go on and on...
I like Twinkle.
She's the friendliest and most patient to wait for a treat.
I like starting the day with Wordle & Quordle.
I usually win, sometimes I get extra lucky.
I like filling my gardening basket.
It's not every day any more, but that's okay.


LeeAnne's  writing topics this month are about herbs & spices:
Your most used spices or herbs... what do you seem to use over and over? Did you grow up with these or start using them as adults?  My mom used salt, pepper, and onion salt... maybe some paprika on the tops of deviled eggs.  I honestly can't remember any other herbs or spices in our house.
How do you store spices and herbs? jars they come in, special holders, etc. My spices stay in the little jars they come in.  My spice rack is a little box type thing with three drawers. I pull out a drawer and it drops down to show me the little jars.
Do you grow any? how do you do it? pots, inside or out side? all year or in summer. Do you dry them for use later?  I started growing herbs in pots in recent years.  I'd never done it or never cooked with fresh herbs, but I've learned that I like it. I grow chives, basil, purple basil, Green oregano, Italian oregano, and rosemary.
What is an unusual herb or spice that you love now that you've tried it? How do you use it?  I suppose It's not unusual to most, but I'd never smelled, cooked, with or eaten rosemary until last year.  Yum!  How did I miss that for nearly  60 years?
What ethnic foods do you like? I'm pretty much an all-American eater.  I do like Mexican food.  I like Italian okay. 
Do you get take out, eat at a special place,  or have you learned to make a version at home?  We do have our favorite places for take-out or to dine-in occasionally. I have my own home version of lots of things.  I'd say I most enjoy making soups, chilis, and stews.  I find it a pleasure to chop and stir and simmer and sample.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on filling that entire journal with your art, Helen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I'll do one more in/on it to make the cover special too.

      Delete
  2. What a fun post to read! Our squirrels cause us the same love/not love that you have, without the shells on the deck. I do enjoy watching them drink from the birdbath, though! Funny, rosemary is one of my least favorite herbs (don't like the taste), but hubs loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it's a good thing for squirrels that they are cute and funny. Besides that, I'm not sure what they're good for.

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Helen! How fun to have one filled art journal. On to another! HAHA - I love candy corn, too. I eat all of them unless they're the brown ones. I don't care for those, and my Mom never liked the pumpkins when they were included in the mix. How funny we are! Your chickens are so pretty - I enjoy watching them and didn't know they were smart enough to come up for a treat. We enjoy Wordle, too! Happy Thursday to you. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amused about how divisive opinions on candy corn can be! Ha ha! Who knew! I agree with you, the brown ones... yuck. And I agree with your mom, the pumpkins... yuck.
      I'm laughing about chickens being "smart" enough to come up for a treat. Smart? Hmmm... Not sure about that, but they act as if we never feed them anything and are starving to death!

      Delete
  4. never eat the white parts! Bwaaahahahahaha
    it all tastes the same to me, sugary.
    Love your chooks...
    finished a journal, a good feeling and a loss of sorts at the same time
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it at the beginning of the year for Life Book projects and other mixed media things. Now, I wish I'd used it exclusively for Life Book things. I had no idea I'd fill it up before the year was over.
      I wish you were closer. I'd be happy to share a dozen eggs with you. :)

      Delete
  5. I like that view out your window, too! Your garden harvests have been amazing, and what a fun photo collage they make. We feel the same about squirrels here - they're very entertaining, but they like to take one bite out of the apples on our tree and then throw them on the ground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've also been amazed at our own garden harvests. We had a huge sycamore tree taken down last year. We knew the extra sunshine would be good, but never imagined how good. I suppose it's kind of silly, but I do love bringing in the harvests, cleaning them up, then laying them on a little towel for a photo.

      Delete
  6. Oh those naughty squirrels! I used to feed them cause I thought they were cute. I don’t anymore after they vandalized my garden! 😧 congrats on a 2-try Wordle win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we used to feed the deer too. We decided that we were just inviting them to notice the garden and to drop their ticks and to chew on our small trees.
      I think that a 2-try Wordle win has a whole lot to do with luck and coincidence rather than skill, but it is a fun way to begin the mornings.

      Delete
  7. I have a love/hate relationship with candy corn. It amuses me you don't eat the ends. :-) I lucked out the two-word wordle lately, too! I like your lovely veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that there aren't many who could go either way on candy corn. People either love it or hate it. And you do both? Hmmm.... Maybe it's the white tips you hate! Ha ha ha!
      Wordle is a good way to start the day. I almost always get it... even when it's on the last row and the puzzle says "Phew!" when you get it! Ha ha! It's most frustrating when you have a rhyming word and just run out of guesses (rakes, fakes, takes, wakes, lakes...)

      Delete
  8. Wowza on your art journal (loud applause)! I just love that photo of you and the chickies. I'm a Wordle gal too, every morning. I have lost a few and gotten a few in two tries, but not yet in one try. I love candy corn and eat it in sections, and the white part is my least favorite - lol! Isn't Rosemary the bomb! Sometimes I'm happy just to smell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never imagined on January 1 when I began this year-long mixed media class that I'd do so many pieces!
      You can tell a difference in the candy corn sections too?!?! I thought I was the only one!

      Delete