Thursday, August 25, 2011

View from this Side

Is formal symmetry always a bad thing in art?


I am such a left brained, type A, logical thinking person.  I went into painting with no natural flare for art.  So much of what makes art aesthetically pleasing was (sometimes still is) so foreign to me.  I still have to remind my self... if one is on this side, put two on that side... don't put it right in the center... put an odd number of them rather than two or four...  Maybe that's why I've never referred to myself as an "artist."  I just say, "I paint."  


I love this painting, but I think maybe I'm not supposed to.  It is, after all, quite symmetrical.  But, there's another reason I love this painting.  I used a palette knife for much of it.  I haven't used that technique much, and I don't know why.  I loved the effect... painterly...  I guess it scares me...  You take big globs of paint and smear... Yikes!  The thing is, I this is the style I loved before I began to paint on my own. Hmmm...
Maybe I should give it another try.

No comments:

Post a Comment