Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Once Upon a Farm...

Once upon a farm there was a feeling of contentment.  
  • The blue sky was clear.
  • The leaves were beginning to appear on the trees. 
  • The yellow button dandelions were turning into white puffs and blowing away in the wind. 
  • The pigs had plenty of mud for rolling around in their pen.  
  • The grass was green and filled with enough bugs and seeds to keep the chickens busy.  
  • The red hen was teaching her fluffy little chicks everything they needed to know. 
  • And, the rooster with his coat of many colors was keeping an eye on them all.
It was a good, good day... once upon a farm.

One of the things I love about painting a commissioned piece is that I'm nearly always stretched to the limit of my skills. I don't know if I'd push myself of choose to paint challenging pieces if I always just got to choose what to work on next.
This one started out with a simple question, "Can you paint this rooster in larger size?"  Sure!  He was already on a 16"x 16" canvas, so the new version would be huge.  He is proudly standing front and center of this new painting... but instead of 2 feet tall, he's 2 two inches tall!  
How did that happen? 
It happened through a series of e-mails and questions... "Could you put a barn in the painting? We love this one, but could you make it red? Could you add a few hens with the rooster, and maybe some chicks? Could you  put some dandelions in the grass?  One more thing... could there be some pigs?"
Oh, this process makes me smile!
Yes... Sure... No problem... I can do that... Okay... Absolutely... Wait, pigs?
Ha ha ha ha
And so.... that is how the 2 foot rooster became a 2 inch rooster!

Thank you Mandi for giving me the setting and all the characters to put this story on canvas.

Original Oil Painting on 18"x 24" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

No comments:

Post a Comment