Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Black-eyed Susans in a Vase


I would say that this painting may not be my usual style or doesn't have my usual color palette.  But then I realize that I've done so many crazy-different styles and used so many different mediums through the on-line classes I've signed up for this year, that I don't know what my style even is any more.

2007-2021 - I worked in realistic oil painting pretty much exclusively (although I did do an occasional acrylic).  
2022 - I began trying to figure out how to paint with the palette knife.  
2023 - I've done a little of everything: watercolor, acrylic inks, pen & ink, collage, fabric applique, and so many things with mixed media. I've grown in appreciation for each.

I have to say, though... I think smearing paint with a palette knife is my favorite.  I love the process. I love the end result.  I want to keep looking at it. I want to run my fingers across its surface (once it finally dries). I want to do another.

My Weekly-ish Challenge was "Just Put Them in a Vase." 

Thanks to Wendy of Pieceful Thoughts for letting me use her image as a reference.

 Original Palette Knife Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

12 comments:

  1. LOVE it... But don't love my palette knife!! Maybe I'm missing something. Does a metal pallette knife provide better results than a plastic one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And, oh my goodness yes! I don't think the plastic ones are really meant to actually paint with. I think they're more of a spatula-type tool. I like the little metal ones, about an inch long, kind of diamond shaped, pointed. Get one of those and give it a try!

      Delete
  2. This turned out so well! If I could paint, I think I would like smearing paint with a palette knife. I've always liked the texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are pleased! I knew as soon as I saw your image that I wanted to do something special with it!

      Delete
  3. This might be my favorite (besides mine of course). Well I actually love a bunch of others too, but I really like this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I'm so glad you like it! It's my favorite right now too... at least until I do the next one! Ha!

      Delete
  4. you totally captured a glass vase, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Just a few white smears in the right places! Ha ha!

      Delete
  5. I love the depth and texture of your palette knife paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm learning and getting better with each one (I hope anyway).

      Delete