Friday, September 1, 2023

Pretty Poppies


The Creative Companion challenge was "Red," but I'm not particularly fond of red. I made a list of things that are red that I do like.  Then I turned that list into a little poem for my companion piece.

Red is Just Red

Raspberries, Razorbacks, Rudolph’s nose,

Barns on farms, and boxes with bows.


Chickens’ combs, a cardinal, some cherries,

Ketchup on fries, and small holly berries.

 

Tulips in vases, tomatoes on vines,

A King James version with Jesus’ lines

 

Amaryllis, Anthurium, Gala apples,

Stained-glass panes in old church chapels.

 

A Muppet named Elmo, a melon slice,

A maple in autumn, an on-sale price.

 

The quick zip flash of a hummingbird’s throat,

An A+ grade with the teacher’s nice note

 

Sunsets in summer, stockings in December

Ladybugs, lollipops, and the last burning ember

 

Vermillion, alizarin, venetian, and garnet

Crimson and ruby, rose and scarlet,

Maroon and burgundy, so nearly the same

Red is just red, no matter the name

                                                                            HE



Original Oil Palette Knife Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas.
[SOLD]

6 comments:

  1. You really rocked it with this painting! The poem makes me smile - fun to see a few of your likes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's such a satisfying way to apply paint to canvas. The poem makes me smile too. I do love playing with words... maybe more than I love playing with colors and shapes.

      Delete
  2. oh, just wonderful... all of it. Love your poppies painting, but the poem shows your insight, and the fact that you are a seeker
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thanks so much for your kind words. So I'm a "seeker"... Hmmm... I'm not sure how you got that, but I do love it!

      Delete
  3. I really like poppies - red or any other color, and these are beautiful. My favorite of your poem reds - the KJ version with Jesus' lines - lol, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a line that surprises... then you think, well, of course! I liked that line too. I had fun with the whole poem.

      Delete