Thursday, May 2, 2024

I Like Thursday 5/24

   Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like that my hens (and Pete) get to roam freely around the yard and woods all day.
I like bulb plants that come back every year.
I like this scraggly little dogwood that shows off in every season.
I like a warm spring day in April when it's time to wake
up this little patch of ground from its winter nap.
I like the promise of summer garden harvests in this rich soil.
I like seeing my little cucumber and okra plants ready to go in the ground.
I like working on my back porch. I have pleasant office mates.
I think they like hanging out with me too.
(That's Eleanor in the wood chip tub.)
I like that my wildlife come close...
unless it to eat something I don't want to share with them.
(Look behind the little pepper plant. Do you see her?)
I like my tiny Bantum hen, Fancy-like. 
She's wanted to be a mama, so I'm letting her have a few eggs to hatch.
(Stay tuned! We'll see who joins the family in a couple of weeks!)

LeeAnne's  get-to-know-you writing topics this month:


What does your name mean? are you named for someone? Do you like your name? Have you ever changed your name as you got older. Would you like a different name?

Helen – I hated my name.  I never knew anyone my age with that old-lady name, and it started with “hel” for goodness sakes!  As an adult, I learned that Helen meant shining light, bright one, one who gives light. Also the most famous Helen was Helen of Troy who was supposedly the most beautiful woman who ever lived. So, I’m good with Helen now.

Margaret – I didn’t much like my middle name either.  When I was little, I could not figure out how to spell it.  I pronounced it /Margret/ but there was an extra “ar” in there somewhere. Now my oldest granddaughter shares my middle name. It means Pearl.  I love that.

 

How do you celebrate your birthday? Did you grow up with parties? Home made cake or store bought? Theme parties? Did you share a birthday with someone special to you? Do you give yourself a gift each year? Do you reevaluate the year somehow?

I don’t have a specific birthday tradition.  A present or a cake or family dinner or maybe a trip.  I share my birthday with a brother. Since we live in the same area now, we make it a tradition to go out to eat with our families on our birthday. A few weeks ago, I turned 60! Ron & I took a lovely trip to Cleveland, ha ha ha, yes, Cleveland! We had the best bed and breakfast ever. We enjoyed the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the Cleveland Museum of Art, and some great restaurants. I'm embracing 60!

What lessons from your childhood have most impacted your worldview? 

Hmmm… I’m going to go with “Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!” That little quote sums up two important priorities to me. The first is living within our means, and the second is being a good citizen of the earth’s resources.

Do you have a morning routine?

Yes! It depends a little on which day of the week, but everyday starts with the day's checklist.  Perhaps is all those years of being a teacher and living by lesson plans, but I'm still a huge live-by-the-almighty-checklist girl every day.

14 comments:

  1. You have such a happy little corner of the world there, and it's lovely! Welcome to the 60s! With your great attitude, you'll rock the decade. I like your names - they suit you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a happy little corner of the world! But, you've only seen it in the dark! Next time!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love the meaning of your name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took me a long time to grow into and to embrace it.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry I missed your birthday! Welcome to the 60s. The first year was the hardest, as it always is for me with a new decade since the 40s! Most of all I am SO SAD that you were literally across Lake Erie from me, and it would've been so cool, and do-able (only two hours by car because we have to drive around the west end of the lake, grrr) to meet for lunch or whatever :-) I miss seeing deer (and moose) when we lived in Alberta. Love your office mates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about you and wonder if it would be a possibility, but I was thinking that you were really close to Detroit, not Cleveland. (I just Googled it and see that they're closer than I thought.)

      Delete
  4. Your chickens look happy. :-) You're reminding me I have so much cleanup to do in the garden! ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better get to it! It's that time of year!

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this post, Helen. I learned so much about you. I am a retired teacher too. Hope you and the chickens are having a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our friend LeeAnna has made a nice little platform for our little blogworld community, hasn't she.

      Delete
  6. I love your likes, and I love your spaces. I want a name like "Fancy-like". How sweet of you to accommodate her desire to nest, and I hope she becomes a mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok... the name... For 4-5 years we had a regular sized chicken who was named Fancy. She was solid white with fluffy feathers and fluffy feathers on her feet. We loved her. When this tiny Bantam chick started to look exactly like a tiny version of her. Also there was a fun song on the country stations by Walker Hayes called "Fancy Like." Well, the tiny hen had to be named Fancy-Like.

      Delete
  7. Helen - a wonderful list of likes - Montana is always quite late with spring/summer, but I still enjoy getting out in the garden and witnessing the smallest of sprouts emerging from the soil! Your chickens are adorable, especially when they join you for a selfie! I linked up with Lee Anna's I Like Thursday this week - hope you can come visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to Montana once... beautiful! You're tougher than me to survive your winters though!

      Delete