Friday, January 7, 2011

Farmhouse

What special meal do you remember from your childhood?

         My grandma's was the perfect “grandma’s house”...the kind that all children should have the opportunity to visit...the kind that all adults should have tucked into their memories.  Every ingredient was there:  a cold creek for swimming, a hot hay loft for daring, a huge garden for picking, a few chicken eggs for gathering, and a treasure-filled attic for pretending.  Of course, there were also cousins, always cousins.  Then... we shared the chores, games, secrets, and mischief.  Now... we share fond memories...memories that come back clearly whenever I see a silver Christmas tree, feel a crocheted afghan, hear the word spectacles, smell marigolds, or taste noodle dumplins.
          Grandma always made noodle dumplins for the grandkids whenever we were visiting without parents, aunts, or uncles.  When I lost Grandma at 14, I also lost that special flavor.
          After I had children of my own, I made many unsuccessful attempts to find the right combination of ingredients to share the taste with them.  I asked my mother, and she mentioned P.E.T. milk as part of the recipe.  That was the secret!  I knew it was right from the first spoonful.

Noodle Dumplins 
2-3 lbs. chicken
7-8 c. water
1-2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1-2     chicken bullion cube (optional)
1/3     small onion
8 oz.   egg noodle dumplings
12 oz. evaporated milk

          Remove skin from chicken.  Boil chicken, salt, pepper, onion, and bullion in the water.  Take chicken out of broth to remove bones.  Cut into small pieces and return.  Add noodles.  Cook 5-10 minutes.  Add evaporated milk.  Bring to a boil.  Broth will thicken as it cooks.

*Tastes best if served in tiny, pink china bowls.

No comments:

Post a Comment