Saturday, August 19, 2017

Introducing the Chickens

No artwork today, but let me introduce you to our chickens.

Miranda
Miranda has a brown head and a whitish coat.  She's the bossiest one of all. (I named her after Miranda Bailey on Grey's Anatomy.)

She's is brave enough to eat from my hand.

And she lays the most beautiful little pinkish tan eggs.


Dolly
Dolly is a pretty big chested blonde.  

She recently discovered the wood kindling box that had some leaves in it.  She decided that was a good place to lay her pretty tan eggs with small speckles.





Mabeline
Mabeline has the biggest red floppy comb. She's a little... slow, bless her heart.

She's also a free-loader.  I don't know if she's too young or too old to lay, if she's laying somewhere in the woods, if she's just lazy, or if she's a he... yikes!


Fancy
Fancy is white with feathers on her feet.
She's very shy and usually at the back of the crowd.

I think she's also a free-loader.  Although someone has started laying that hasn't previously.  I'm not sure which one.



Sylvia


Sylvia looks like a hawk.  She's gorgeous.

She has been the funniest to deal with.  She has a mind of her own and and attitude!

Her eggs are beautiful and blue.

But.... recently...





ME: Cheri, I think one of my hens is broody.  She just wants to sit in the nesting box.
CHERI: She wants to be a mama.  You should get her a couple of fertilized eggs and let her raise a chick or two.
         ... Hmmm...
ME: Mary, do you know where I could get a couple of fertilized eggs?
MARY:  I'll bring you six tomorrow.
         ... Hmmm...
RON: I like that you always have projects going on.
ME: Speaking of projects... I think I might get some eggs for Sylvia to sit on. 
RON: You've already done it, haven't you. 
ME: (grin)






 



She's been sitting on these for a week now.  Two weeks to go! (The white ones are the fake eggs.  I tried to take them out, but Sylvia wouldn't have it.)

6 comments:

  1. Well your girls have personality and it will be fun to hear their stories. I didn't realize they didn't all lay in their house but around, guess you just got to learn their hideouts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Well, they ARE supposed to lay in their coop nesting boxes! I don't know why they decided the box on the porch was better! Maybe the sitting mama, Sylvia, hisses at them when they come in to sit beside her so they just looked for a new place. I guess I should Google it and retrain them.

      Delete
  2. Know what I thought? You've swapped your grade 4 chicks for feather ones! Should be good fun. Who knew hens have differing personalities?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah... I think they're kind of beautiful... in a scraggly chicken sort of way. :)

      Delete