Sunday, December 17, 2017

Red Rose Trio

Does is look like I have a guest artist posting today?  

Nope.

I painted this rose... did the whole thing with a palette knife, five colors of paint, and a great instructional YouTube video.

When my husband came home and saw it, he said, "Whoa!  That's really nice... but it doesn't look like you. It's really good though."   I love that he liked it, but I also loved that he recognizes what is and isn't my painting style.

I've been thinking a lot lately about style or art voice.  
  • What makes up our style? 
  • Do we get to decide what our style is, or does it just happen?
  • Does our art style change over time?
  • Is my art style different from my artist's voice?
Sure, we recognize Monet's soft impressionism, Van Gogh's abrupt blotchy strokes, Norman Rockwell's detailed story-telling paintings or the work of Mary Cassatt, Jackson Pollock, or Georgia O'Keefe.  But, what about the styles and art voices of regular people?
  • I think of my art mentor Cheri's style...soft, lifelike, more beautiful than a photograph... I would know it anywhere (on a popcorn tin in Walmart, on fabric, on home decor at Hobby Lobby, or on the wall of my own house).
  • I think of my blog friend Nelvia's voice... brave, powerful, and thought provoking... I think she intentionally changes up her style as she continually challenges herself to try new things.
  • I think of the painting challenge site Paint and Draw Together.  Every month or so there is an image that artists are invited to paint.  I love to scroll through and see all the styles... All  are all exactly the same... and all completely different.
  • I think of my painting partners, Julie and Tana, and how we've learned to appreciate and encourage each other's personal styles.
This whole contemplation of style started when I told my friend, Sandra of MMMQuilts, that I preferred the style of her quilts to some others I'd recently seen.  That began the conversation... What is my style? 
She sent me the question, "What do you think sets your paintings apart?"
I quickly thought of several answers like... "Nothing" and "I don't know" and "Hmmm..."
But, I couldn't let it go.
This was my answer to her:
Sometimes I think I'm still searching for my style.... smooth or textured?... detailed or smudged?... bright colors or muted?... 
I can't know how my painting voice is perceived through my art, but I know how I want it to be seen...
I want it to almost be heard...
I hope that my paintings either tell stories or evoke stories...
I hope they prompt either memories or imagination...I hope they are realisitic and believable yet remain painterly.
I want them to be good.
 I'm interested... What are your thoughts on art style or artist's voice?

Original oil painting on 12"x 6" wrapped canvas.
Click "Red Rose Trio" if you'd like op purchase this little painting.

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it interesting that we all struggle with this and for many of us it is already set in stone. Have to work hard to change. Some of use just try anything - guilty as charged. So glad that is how you perceive it, wish I did!! :) I think in many ways you have already achieved what you wish for. You do tell a story and I like that you don't always go with the traditional things people paint. Will love to keep watching how you resolve this in your mind. Our best friend or worst enemy - our mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your beautiful painting I specially love how your rose buds softly melt with the background and the whole experience is so pleasing. It's really amazing that you did the complete painting with the palette knife itself. Very beautiful!

    When I started my own painting I had one way of painting but then I started to have a lot of admiration for many different styles. Now I find inspiration from different styles and enjoy trying out new things. Reading your blog, I want to try out painting with the palette knife myself :)

    I am always grateful for your sharing of your beautiful paintings and painting process and your kind encouraging comments in the paint and draw together blog. For me painting together with heart warming friends like you is the best part of being an artist.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I love the concept of Paint and Draw Together. I find it very intriguing to see all the different styles that appear one right after the other with each image you offer.
      I can't wait to see what the next one will be!

      Delete
  3. wash, rinse, repeat ... Well, that's my approach. It might sound plodding and heavy handed, but doing it (whatever it is) over and over for sure brings forth a style over time. I thought I had an idea of what I wanted my "style" to be. (and I'm grateful at least I had that for-sure idea in the beginning?) But the more I learn, the more it evolves and changes over time. Sometimes the only constant is a willingness to try again. Lol, from one failure to the next, right?! Said in jest, but there's a bit of truth there too. Thank you for a thought provoking post (as always.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your ideas. I think you are right; our style does change. Sometimes that change is natural over time, and maybe sometimes it is intentional. Hmmm... something to think about.

      Delete