Friday, March 3, 2023

Fruits & Vegetables under the Umbrellas

Our state has many good roadside fruit and vegetable stands, and we have a wonderful farmers' market around our city's square. The reference photo I used for this painting; however, was taken when I spent some time in Indonesia a few years ago. There were so many beautiful fruits and vegetables and many I'd never seen before and haven't seen since.
Fun fact: I think that apples were a delicacy that that they must have imported from somewhere else.  Each apple on the stack would be wearing a little "jacket" to keep it safe. Look behind the oranges. Those are yellow apples! Each one has a pink spongy wrap. (The pink spiky things to the right of the oranges... who knows what odd kind of fruit that was!)

This might look like a painting about fruits and vegetables, but it's not supposed to be. My Creative Companions topic was "Umbrellas." I really struggled to connect with that one... a lot! I'd go to bed each night thinking... Umbrellas in the rain, beach umbrellas, folded umbrellas in a stand, umbrella plants, fancy umbrella parasols, umbrella strollers... 
Ugh... days passed...
I went to YouTube and practiced drawing every umbrella they had to offer. 
Zero connection...


Then I finally noticed this painting that hangs right there beside my bed!  Umbrellas at the farmers' market!!! Yes! But, I couldn't get by with just painting that one again.  So I went to the other side of the world for inspiration!


Original Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who goes to bed and dreams about design things :-) I like the painting, the colorful umbrellas and fruit, and sunshine!

    ReplyDelete