Friday, August 11, 2023

Holland Pouches

Several months ago while reading a post from Wendy at Pieceful Thoughts, I came to a quilted, zipper bag that she'd bought a pattern for and made. It was called a Holland Pouch. I had my new sewing machine that I hadn't really quite made friends with yet and thought this might be a good opportunity.  I bought the pattern.  I'm pretty sure I got my $10 worth out of it.

I made a few.
I made mistakes and figured out how to do better.
I made some more.
I learned a lot about my machine and what it would do.
I got pretty good at it.
I made a lot more.
I found the act of sewing the quilting lines so relaxing.
I loved using up scraps of material.
I made so many of them!
But I needed so many of them!  I had 36 grandbabies, grand nieces, & grand nephews who come to The Lake every year and wonder if Aunt Helen remembered to make Lake Bags this year.  I always ask the oldest ones (now 17, 16, 15....) if they're too old for a Lake Bag, and they assure me that they are not.
They got to choose their favorite bag then choose the goodies that would go inside.  
Their moms got to choose a Lake Bag this year too!
I love it!
And.... I'm not sure I'm finished making these Holland Pouches. Hmmm....












10 comments:

  1. How fun! The pouches are also beautiful...and so many! You have been very busy. What a great idea to let them pick items to go in them. I'm pretty sure it's a tradition that your relatives will never want to stop! Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've ever done "quilting" as in sewing the lines hold the lining, batting, and material together. I found it to be so very meditative. I loved. Now, what pattern will I use next year!

      Delete
  2. Well, I'm completely delighted that I played a small role in the making of your Lake Bags this year! So many, and they are all so cute! I'm sure they will be enjoyed by everyone - even the moms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do enjoy reading each other's posts and sometimes learn something, don't we!

      Delete
  3. wowie! how fun for the kids to pick one too! Great photos, love the whole group one in front of the water and mountain!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We've spent four days there every year since 1990. 34 years ago at that first gathering, I believe there were 24 family members. We've grown!

      Delete
  4. Goodness!! I'm sure you aren't aiming for praise, but praise you shall have - this is seriously impressive. The bags, well they don't look like beginner bags, they are beautiful and well made. You are the fun Grandma, Aunt, Sister, In-law, right? :D What are the choices for the contents?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Well, I'd like to think that I am. I'm younger than my 4 siblings... 12 years younger than my oldest brother and 12 years older than my oldest niece... So right in the middle. I had a long time to enjoy my great nieces and great nephews before I ever had grandlittles of my own.
      The goodies... Ahhh... They got to choose one from each of 5 boxes... There was a box of fidget spinners, a box of pool toys, a box of squishy things, a box of bracelets, a box of random stuff.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That was QUITE the production!! I'm everyone loved their new Lake Bag, Helen. SEW thoughtful of you to make gifts for the attendees!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure... Now... what kind of bag for next year...??

      Delete