Saturday, April 6, 2024

Degas Vignette

My Weekly-ish Challenge partner had this prompt: 
Paint a vignette from a painting of one of the Old Masters. 
  • Look up "Old Masters" to see exactly which artist is and who isn't. (FYI - There were 25 listed.)
  • Decide who I'll choose.  
  • Go to the library to check out some big books. (It's the old-fashioned way, but it works just as well as it always did. The internet is very guarded with its images of the Old Master paintings.  You can see them, but only enlarge them to a couple of square inches.)
  • Find a painting that I'd like to spend time with.
  • Choose the small portion to focus on.

I have the quote "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do. - Edgar Degas" on a small card hanging beside my painting table, so I knew I wanted to find a way to incorporate that.

When I was "assigned" this one, I wasn't planning on enjoying it. But, much to my surprise, I thoroughly did.

Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Canvas Board, Vignette Copy of Degas Original
[GIFT]

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! That would intimidate me a bit, but you did well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Pretty sure there is no competition, but maybe ol' Edgar would nod and say to keep it up!

      Delete
  2. You did a masterful job with this excerpt from on of the Old Masters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind. What would ol' Mr. Degas think to know his work was still admired long after he was gone.

      Delete
  3. What a true statement on your painting! Very impressive, Young Master.

    ReplyDelete