Thursday, January 5, 2023

I Like Thursday (1/23)

Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like a quiet evening beside the fire...
So does the cat. He's mesmerized...
...even when there's no fire burning!

I like having a sewing project that lets me use up scraps.
When my grandson asked if I could make him a superhero cape, I was on it!

Little sister would need one too, of course.


I like traveling to visit a niece three states away and seeing my paintings on her wall. 
These were done in 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2017

I like making dressing for Christmas dinner.
Leading up to that there has to be suppers with hot soup and cornbread;
The left over cornbread makes goes into the dressing. 
This year, for fun I tried some cheesy-corn-chive corn muffins
and some jalapeno-chive corn muffins. 
A+ Exceeded expectations!

I like the way all the cardinals show up when it snows. 
(I wonder where they all hang out when it's not snowing!)

I like the guy who keeps birdseed in the feeders.

I like that every year I hang stockings on the N.O.E.L hangers,
and every year someone changes them to spell L.E.O.N.
(That's why our Elf on the Shelf is names Leona!)

LeeAnne gave several other prompts to think about. 
Here are a few quick answers to them.
favorite holiday movie or show to watch 
Classic - It's a Wonderful Life 
Contemporary - The Grinch 
favorite Christmas cookie or treat....
Bought - A Zero candy bar 
Home Made - Chex Mix
favorite songs.... 
Church - Silent Night 
Secular - Another Tennessee Christmas
YouTube videos...  
SkyArt Portrait Artist of the Year
SkyArt Landscape Artist of the Year
Did you ever participate in holiday shows?
I've sung in The Messiah a couple of times.
Do you attend any musical theatrical events each year? 
Our church has special music each year.
Are there any songs you do not like? 
There's always the option to switch to another station or fast forward.
Do any songs bring up memories of times from the past?
Oh, my goodness yes!  Doesn't every song have a memory attached?
What songs do you know by heart?
Well, this one is a problem.  I have a condition called "dyslyricia" (It's like dyslexia is a real issue for words and letters, dyscalculia is a real problem for numbers and math) And, yes, I did make up the word dyslyricia because it's a real thing for me!  Me and lyrics... it's sad... or hilarious depending on how you look at it.
Is there anything you'd like to try or to learn this coming year? Some new art technique? A new hobby to try? 
I've signed up for LifeBook 2023.  There will be 80+ on-line art lessons by 30 different teachers.  There will be collage, drawing, watercolor, and every other art thing that I'm neither comfortable with nor good at.  
A place to visit?
To be determined.  
A challenge to face?
Always. I love a good challenge (in the art room, in the kitchen, in the garden...)

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what a fun post! Does hubby know you have a thing for that guy filling the bird feeders (LOL). Noel to Leon - hahahahaha! I want one of those cornbread muffins. I enjoyed reading your list of things (what a great way to answer all of them!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He reads my blog, so he's going to find out! (ha ha... see himself in the starring roll this week)
      I might just keep doing the prompts that way. There doesn't have to be a photo, and it's fun.

      Delete
  2. I love your photos of the cat in front of the fireplace - sweet and funny! The cardinals are so beautiful against the snow, too. I wish we had them here. Remembering lyrics to songs is a challenge for many of us - some I can sing word for word and others I just make up as I go along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Sweet & funny" is a good pair of adjectives for our cat.
      Making up words as I go along is the lane I stay in... sigh...

      Delete
  3. Your kitty is so well mannered. Mine would be tearing aside the screen to get inside. Did the jalapeno cornbread provide an unexpected enhancement to the dressing? I love Zero candy bars. I have the same lyric issue. "Baby It's Worth A Shot" is a current country song by Elle and I swear she is singing "I pee in a bottle". So I looked it up and it's "might be in a bottle".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just guffawed that my Buff-Kitty would be called "well mannered." He's a piece of work alright.
      The whole lyric thing!!! Normal people who can remember lyrics just don't get it. We try! We really try! And we get them wrong again and again! Ha ha ha!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love the super hero cape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cozy holiday pictures! And, the corn bread sounds amazing... did you have a recipe? Or, are you one of those great cooks who just wings it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha... Well, I don't know about amazing, but I do wing it when I cook. The jalapenos and chives were frozen from our garden and the corn was frozen from the summer farmers' market. It was definitely a wing-it meal (Yeah, they were pretty much a whole meal!)

      Delete
  6. oh helen! how wonderful your whole post is. Starting with an orange cat. When I was at my sadest after losing Cole, a trio of orange cats took up with me, while I walked, one by one they stepped up each day to walk with me. They made me feel connected and that love continues. Yum to your muffins altho personally I'm allergic to corn, but love the taste. Awe to the guy who refills the birdseed... keep him around right?
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That orange cat... he's a special one. He's equal parts sweet and precious with the other half being annoying and a mess maker! He's my partner either way.
      Yes, on keeping the birdseed guy."

      Delete
  7. Hi Helen! Your kitty looks so cute watching the fire or fireplace. I wonder what he's thinking about when there is no fire? Yes, to fabulous superhero capes!! Nice job. I'll bet they had fun with them. I adore corn muffins and your latest version looks quite yummy! HAHA! That's so funny that someone changes Noel to Leon. Happy New Year to you and your family. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll never know what cats are thinking!! Contemplating something deep and serious, I suppose. Ha ha!

      Delete
  8. Love those super capes. That cornbread looks delicious. Good stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahaha on the Noel changing to Leon! My favourite like of your likes is the bald head of El - just DARLING. So are the capes ;-) My guy fills up our bird feeders too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting lots of time with that little bald (well, fuzzy) head! Her little sister was born a few days ago.

      Delete