Thursday, April 6, 2023

I Like Thursday 4/23

 Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like seeing my chickens in the backyard.
I like when a hen gets broody and we can get baby chicks!
After dark we replace the eggs with day-old chicks. Momma hen is so happy the next morning.
I like going on an evening walk down the road. 
We never know who we might happen to meet.
I like these gals...
Elenore, Twinkle, Pip, Pauline, Foxy,
Fancy-like, Doily, Ruby-Jean, Jolene,
Dominique, and her two babies who don't have names yet. 

I like Buff Kitty.

I like... nope... bad Buff-kitty!

I like watching my seeds become plants.
I like seeing the trees turn pink and purple and green!
I like putting my onion sets in the ground and covering them up with soil.
I like first signs of spring.

I like getting the soil ready to become a garden.



LeeAnne gave several other prompts to think about. 
Here are a few quick answers to them:


Do you like spring flowers?
I love flowers that return each year.  Lining our backyard and our driveway, we have daffodils in March and irises in April. In may we enjoy the dogwood blooms in the woods behind our backyard. (June used to be for lilies, but the moles and I have battled... the moles won.)

Do you plant a vegetable garden or pots of herbs? What are your favorites to plant?
I love my vegetable garden.  I find it very satisfying to grow my own tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, jalapenos, onions, okra, and herbs. 

Do you like spring flowers?
I do plant some cucumbers and okra in advance.  I have great sunlight in an upstairs bedroom window.  It's kind of my greenhouse. I buy onion sets, pepper plants, and tomato plants.  I buy herb starts, although I did keep some alive inside all winter.

Is your garden in raised beds, patio pots, or in the ground?
My main garden is in the ground.  It's 13'x 20'.  I also have 20 cow-feed barrels that serve like raised beds and each hold a tomato plant, a pepper plant, or onions. And, I have many large pots to grow things on my back deck.  Everything has to be enclosed with wire fencing.  My deer are beautiful to see, but they are not trustworthy to stay out of my garden.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I want to live there! How in the world do you have time to paint and create inside? Your palette is outdoors too. I love your chickens, Buff kitty (even bad Buff kitty), your view, and your garden. My admiration for you grew even more when I saw the photo of you "wo-manning" the tiller in your pink boots! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha!! Did you hear me laugh out loud at "wo-manning" just now?

      Delete
  2. So many great likes! Those little chicks! Pretty flowers and walks. Buff! Oh Buff, what have you done?? Maybe you should name one of your new chickens Pieceful, after me - haha. My uncle had a cow named Wendy - didn't quite know what to think of that (in his defense, he didn't name it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens, one of those little chicks just looks like a Pieceful. I think it's a name that will suit her!

      Delete
  3. What a fun post! I love the chicken's names. Buff kitty is cute! Yay for seedlings. Have fun with the garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. chicks! and mama hens who mama the ones that are there, all the names you gave those chickens, buff kitty even when she's naughty from boredom probably, flowers, growing things and watching them grow, I like all of them too
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to have this place (that you provide) to gather things that we like.

      Delete