Wednesday, February 28, 2024

George's Miss Conduct II


I've been lucky enough to have two strong mentors in my creative life, and how interesting... they're both named Cheri.
I've often mentioned my painting mentor Cheri W.  Today I'm thinking of how much I owe to Cheri O. who I consider to be my writing mentor. We taught fourth grade literacy together, participated in the National Writing Project together, and taught taught a summer writing institute for teachers together.  She helped me to discover and develop the writer within myself and taught me to be an encourager of writers.  
Although she moved to the other side of the country for many years, she's always been a forever friend. And.... she's moving back!

She texted me that she wanted two paintings and that they'd be the first ones she'd hang in her new place.  First she wanted one she had seen in my Etsy store. 
I have to say that this was a very special painting to me.  I didn't list it for sale for a long time, and I've loved having it on my own wall.  That's my farmers' market on my town's square, and that couple in the middle just might look a bit like me and my husband.  I thought I'd be so sad when/if it ever did sell. But, no!  I'm thrilled that it will be on her wall! (I went back to the post I wrote about it 6 years ago.  How appropriate the I compared it to writing a story on canvas.)

She also asked me to re-create a bigger version of a symbolic painting I'd done a few years ago.  The boat had been built by her dear friend, and she'd be moving here to move into the house that had been his.  She wanted it to hang on the wall in his memory.

I'd be happy to do that.
It honors me that she'd ask.

I do love the honor (and the pressure) of an important commission.  And, more than a few times, I've agreed to take on something then wondered how on earth I'd manage to pull it off.
Here are the references I had to work with.
I love that I got to have a part in preserving this memory.
Original Oil Painting on 10"x 20" Wrapped Canvas.
[SOLD]

6 comments:

  1. Well, this is just plain fun, the story, the Etsy painting, your friendship. The memory painting is lovely. I hope you two enjoy meeting up together again, now that she will be close!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such realism in your paintings, Helen. Both are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh I got a tear in my eye! You are the perfect artist, because it isn't just what you do with your hands, it's in your heart too, so the meaning behind each stroke (painting or keyboard) is precious. Those paintings are both so warm and inviting, and I know your friend will enjoy hers as much as I enjoy mine. Is she moving near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What sweet comments!
      Yes, she's moving to my city.

      Delete