Friday, March 29, 2024

Grandma's Sewing Machine

We had one of these little black sewing machines in my family.  It had been passed down several times. It fit perfectly in its little black case, and many ladies in my family had her turn with it.  
It finally ended up with my sister, and that's the perfect home for it since it continues to be used often as she makes quilts.
I did some thinking outside the box... or thinking outside the frame to create a companion piece for this one.  I made my plan as I went along. As I worked on each step, I tried to figure out how I'd do the next part. First I made a tiny quilt top for the background then added some tan scraps stitched in a what I thought looked wood-like. The machine is just collaged scraps of black, gray, and gold.  (Is there anything quite as satisfying as using up bits and scraps!) The fabric that drapes out of the image was an experiment that worked!

My favorite thing about each piece is the thread. In the painting, I made that straight line of pink thread with the edge of a credit card.  In the fabric collage piece, you'll have to look closely, but I left a tail of pink thread hanging loose from the needle. 

I admit that I did double dip this project.  This month my WordSpark was "Vintage," and my Weekly-ish challenge was "Fabric."  Shhh... neither project needs to know!!!

Original Oil Painting on 12"x 16" Wrapped Canvas
Click Vintage Sewing Machine if you'd like to purchase this painting. Send me a message if you'd like to purchase the quilted framed piece.

10 comments:

  1. Well having been privy to the start of the painting, I am absolutely tickled pink (see what I did there) to see the fabric rendition of the painting. Gosh it's just struck me that it's like those Russian dolls how this evolved! Lovely as always and thanks for sharing that cc tool ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love your little Featherweight. I thought you'd appreciate this one. I had such fun figuring out the quilted one. I know it's wonky, but I'm much more of a wonky sew-er than a precise one. Let's just call it "character" instead of wonkiness. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh what fun! Both pieces are so well done! Clever you, using the 3D elements in the quilt. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to admit that I didn't have a vision for how the quilted one would look in the end. I just took one idea at a time... starting with the quilt as a background and ending with the fabric that falls over the frame.

      Delete
  3. The painting and the quilt are both fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... thanks so much. It is nice when you finish a creative piece, stand back, and smile at the result. Don't you think?

      Delete
  4. wowie on both
    the painting, you captured the right details, the compact shape and size so iconic. The contrast of bright pink against black, the engraving on the metal, the sheen on shiny enamel, a sign of careful treatment over the years. Then the wonderful quilted piece. I saw that thread, smelled the machine running, felt the vibration of it... how I love sewing
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness! That's a lot of compliments! I'll take them all! :) I can tell you took the time to really look closely. I so appreciate that.

      Delete
  5. Will you give it to your sister? I love all of it, but my favorite thing is the loose pink thread. My second favorite thing is the quilt. You are so clever! I know that kind of fabric play is so satisfying.
    Back in the 1970s when I was a young married thing, I decided to make a wall hanging featuring Holly Hobbie - are you old enough to remember Holly Hobbie? If not, Google it, it's really cute. I knew how to sew quite well but was not a quilter at that point. But I fearlessly put together bits of fabric (have no idea where I got them) and placed them and stitched them all together into a rather adorable piece. I wish I still had it! I just remember the enormous sense of satisfaction I had knowing that I could bring an idea to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And to think I nearly clipped that loose thread off!! Whew!
      Of course, I do remember Holly Hobbie. She was all the rage during her time.

      Delete