Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Arsaga's - Our First Date

If you aren't from Northwest Arkansas, this just looks like an old building.  
If you are from Northwest Arkansas, you know that this is a familiar, much-loved, Fayetteville-esque spot just off The Square.

When Sonya asked me to paint it for her, she said, "Mike and I had our first date in 1994 at the original Arsaga's on Block Street."  Awwwww... I love a good romantic story! Of course I said YES... 

As I so often do when I love the story and say yes, I realized as I got started that I might have gotten myself in over my head with this project.
There wasn't a reference photo... But there were about 6 old photos that I was just sure I could piece together to recreate what she remembered.   Funny how confident I am before I begin a project! HA!  And, in the end, yes, it did come together pretty well.

I don't know the whole story, but I do know there there's something important about the fact that the knobs on the two middle doors are on the outside of each door because they lead to the two separate businesses.  I'm imagining a nervous couple on their first date each going into a door and ending up in different places! 

Arsaga's moved to another location years ago. Although I'm not a coffee drinker, I know it's the best coffee stop in town for many.
Swift's has been the place for custom jewelry or jewelry repair for more than 60 years.
Hugo's... How can I explain how good their hamburgers are? I'm so sad for you if you've never eaten one. Let me take you there.  If you are walking from Swift's you go down the stairs beside the red wagon-wheel rail and into the basement.  You'll see a long room with a bar on one side and red & white checked tables filling the rest of the space.  It will be dark-ish, but you can see all the pipes on the ceiling and old photos on the walls.  I guess there are things besides hamburgers that you can order, but no one does. They make the best, Best, BEST hamburgers... I'd say in the whole world. 

[SOLD]
Original Oil Painting on 16"x 20"

4 comments:

  1. Now you went and made me hungry. Loved the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugo's does make a good hamburger!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately where we live in Atlanta, there aren't any long standing places, inside, where all the traffic lives there are some gems.

      Delete
    3. I think it's good to support your local places where ever you are. They're the best anyway. :)

      Delete