Tuesday, July 3, 2018

June


This is our little LaurelAnne (a.k.a. LaLa)  She hatched into our hearts two weeks ago.



She (...and I realize I have no idea whether she's a she and will begin to lay eggs in a few months or grow a long tail and begin to crow, but until then, she's a she...) is just the cutest little ball of fluff!! 
I can't tell you how much time I've whiled away just watching her flit around beside/under/behind Sylvia while she's learning all the important chicken things she needs to know!

My pretty little garden... Looks like I'm in a pen, right?
I keep things that aren't tasty to deer in the perimeter cages.
Training the cucumber vines to climb up and stay in their own 
cages is a daily thing. They grow so fast!
Things just taste better when you pick the yourself, don't they.
If even half of my yellow blooms become
cucumbers,I will have a bumper crop this year.

Roma and cherry tomatoes seem to grow best for me.
I wish those big beefsteaks grew well here, but my
little guys are have big flavor.
More jalapenos that we can ever use,
but they're so fun to grow and pick!
I can't imagine who ever decided that a bell
pepper should be a food, but Ron likes
them. And they are so pretty.
Okra have the most beautiful blooms.
I like growing and preparing them,
but again, Ron's the one who eats them.
Zinnias have to be in my garden. My mother grew them
and her mother grew them, so I grow them.

4 comments:

  1. There's another MM: zinnias. I don't know what the attraction other than brilliant colours they have for me, but I used to always grow them. Haven't for the past several years, but next year when Joe gets the landscaping going, I will grow some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zinnias are just a humble little flower... They don't smell good. They don't make the best bouquets. They don't get too big. They aren't flashy or fancy. But, there is something comforting about them, right?

      Delete
  2. My zinnias are about done, too much heat, humidity and mid 90s. Moved them to front of house now to see if they revive. Your garden looks great. At times. Miss mine, but then go utter in the new little yard and it gets it of my system pretty quick. Stuff grows here too and must be trimmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's a pretty little garden this year. But... the deer decided this year that they would have a taste of cucumber leaves... By that I mean, they ate every single one that their noses could reach!. :(

      Delete