Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Hollyhocks for Anne

Before sharing the story of this painting, I have to share the story of its painter and of its owner.
       ... 1991...
When my kids were little, we moved into a cozy little cul-de-sac neighborhood.  We knew some of the neighbors well and some only by sight, but our all kids played on the sidewalks and in the front yards.
       ... 1998...
I was a part of a month long summer institute with National Writing Project.  When the contact information sheet came around on the first day, I noticed that the lady across the room had written the name of my tiny little street on her line. We were neighbors! How did we not know each other! 
       ... next 20 years...
Anne and I immediately became friends. We taught in the same school district. We shared a deep passion for writing and for teaching writing.  Through the National Writing Project, we both taught professional development workshops and led writing institutes for teachers.  My kids attended the junior high where she taught.  
Life happened... We raised our kids. We taught hundreds of other people's kids.  I moved across town.  I started painting.  We both retired. We kind of lost touch.


       ... last month...
There was a 20 year reunion for those of us who'd been active in the National Writing Project.  Not only was it so good to see Anne again, she had a paper in her hand with a little note about something she wanted. She'd been to our by our art show, fell in love with one of the paintings that had sold, and asked if I'd paint another and if I'd make the coloring work with a grouping of Hummels that had belonged to her grandmother.

So...
Why did this painting speak to her?
I asked Anne if she'd tell it in her own words.
     There grow Hollyhocks at the home where we abode, and there came a mighty Rain, with a great Wind, and the Hollyhocks were Beaten Down so that they lay flat. And Keturah said, Behold how they begin to lift themselves again.  And she put her hand under one of them, and lifted it gently, as she would have lifted a little child that had stumbled and fallen, and the Hollyhock stood up.  And she lifted another likewise. And Keturah said, it is even so with Folks. Therefore we made a covenant that as we walk where the storms of life have beaten, we will Lift Up every flower of God that hath fallen, and not trample upon it nor despise it, but seek to make if fit to bloom in the Garden of God.  (William E. Barton Safed the Sage. Paraphrased)  
I shared this parable at the 50th Anniversary of my great aunt and uncle who epitomized this in their lives.  Hollyhocks grew in Oklahoma where I grew up, and Helen's beautiful painting reminds me of my rural home and the lesson of the Hollyhocks.
AL
Lovely words...
     Lovely thoughts...
          Lovely friend... 

 Original Oil Painting on 10"x 20" Wrapped Canvas
 [SOLD]

6 comments:

  1. Well, blogger still not liking me as a google account, go figure - checked settings and I don't see anything that changed.
    I love this store and the painting. Also this is just such a great example of what friendship is, it just takes a little fanning of the flame to make it glow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. You just never know when and where you'll find a kindred spirit... across the street or across the country. :)

      Delete
  2. reset doing what blogger says and didn't work all the verification is just nuts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this touching story and the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes we get reminders of how small the world can be. You know you've got a kindred spirit when you can not see each other for years then pick right back up where you left off.

      Delete