Monday, December 30, 2019

From the Front Porch


From the front porch... 
      she could see the tree that he'd planted just for her.
      she could watch the little ones run and play.
      she could laugh at the chickens.
      she could feel the breeze.
From the front porch...
       she could call out that supper was ready.
       she could take in the colors of the sunset.
       she could hear the whippoorwill's evening song. 
       she could sit on the rocking chair beside him...  
             and see the tree that he'd planted just for her.
      
I finished this little painting with the big sky, grassy field, farm house, and barn in the back.  I liked it, but it didn't tell me a story... until... I added the tree.


I keep thinking of Pa planting the 5 cottonwood trees for Ma and the girls.  Near the end of By the Shores of Silver Lake  Pa says, "You're going to have your trees growing, Caroline, quick as I can get them set in the ground."  He took his spade out of the wagon and said, "The first one's your tree, Caroline. Pick it out and tell me where you want it."

He planted those trees around 1880, and they're still growing in De Smet, South Dakota. I'd love to see them one day.


My blog/Insatgram friend, Sara shared this photo.  
It broke all kinds of art rules (looking uphill... tree right smack dab in the center... huge sky of nearly nothing) but I couldn't quit going back to it.
It made me wonder...  
                                 Photo by @saraharley.photos
Who built the house? Why did they pick that spot? What kind of farm did they have? Did they plant that tree? Does any one still live there? How big was their farm? Did they love their front porch?

I do love an image that makes my mind wander... and wonder...

Original Oil Painting on 10"x 10" Wrapped Canvas
Click From the Front Porch  to purchase this little painting.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure which I like better...your painting or your story. Both are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete