Friday, April 3, 2020

Raggedy Ann Doll


Someone (You know who you are...😉) recently told me she thought Raggedy Anns were creepy. 
What?!  
I cannot imagine how a floppy doll with big round staring eyes with zig-zags underneath, a red triangle nose, and out-of-control bright red hair could be seen as creepy!! 
Oh...
Hmmm...

I've always had a soft spot for Raggedy Ann.  Oh, how I loved mine!  My grandma made an Ann and Andy during the years when that crazy craft fake fur was so popular.  Instead of sewing all those red yarn pieces, she sewed neon orange fake fur to their heads. I thought they were the best! Looking back, I'm sure they were hilarious... even creepy.

I'm not sure where this Little Golden
Book on my shelf came from, but I've
had it a long time.
I still have this sleeping bag that I took to
every single slumber party when I was a kid.
...love, Love, LOVED this book so much!! 
Laura's Christmas Rag Doll, Charlotte,
had "beautiful black yarn braids."
I made this Ann & Andy set when I was pregnant. 
They got to sit in the bassinet beside my new baby girl.
Aren't we cute Raggedies!
I made these costumes when my little 
ones were two and five... a long time ago...
 In my art studio, I have a shelf where I keep some of my favorite things.  Recently (pre social distancing) my painting partner brought her granddaughters over for a painting lesson.  One of them kept staring  wide-eyed at this shelf.
She finally said, "Why is your Elf on the Shelf here?"
I told her that was just Leona's spot there with the Raggedies.
In disbelief, she asked, "How can she be here instead of the North Pole?"
Oops!  Ummm....
Well, Leona's kind of bad and doesn't follow rules.
What about you?
Do you have a Raggedy Ann memory?

Original Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
Click "Raggedy Ann Doll" if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

2 comments:

  1. I still have my Raggedy Ann and Andy; they are well worn from much love. I also made a Raggedy Ann quilt as a gift many years ago, long before digital photography, so I'll have to see if I took a photo. Likely not. I do still have the pattern, though, I think!

    ReplyDelete