Saturday, October 12, 2024

Bride & Cardinal

Sometimes I get the most interesting requests.
Often those have to do with the loss of a loved one. It seems like it usually begins with "Could you do a portrait?" (In this case, "It's for the girl my nephew is marrying.  The wedding is in 10 days? Is that enough time?") That's followed by a lot of back and forth of what's wanted. Mostly they don't really know; they just want a remembrance, a symbol, an image to bring a smile.  My suggestion for the portrait is that they find a great photo and have that printed to frame.  Then we talk about the reminders or symbols.
"Her mother passed away a couple of years ago... She thinks of her or is comforted whenever she sees a cardinal... She also feels that when she sees a bee... Her fiancĂ© always gives her long stemmed roses..." among other ideas.  
Let me see what I can do...
... start with a photo of her the day she said yes to the dress...
... sketch with colored pencils...
... get approval... (She loved it.)
... give it a try in a couple of ways...  
(She tells me the bride loved it.)



Original Acrylic Painting on 5"x 7" Canvas Board
Original Watercolor Painting on 7"x 9" Art Paper
[SOLD]
 

8 comments:

  1. Helen - what a wonderful gift! In a world of "consumption", finding that unique gift is a precious thing indeed! Joining you from LeeAnna's I Like Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!
      Aren't we lucky to have LeeAnna to bring us together to notice all the good things around us!

      Delete
  2. In 10 days?! You do such lovely work. I'm sure this will be a favorite painting of hers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope it's special to her. It's just a tiny little painting that could sit on a shelf. The time frame really wasn't an issue once we settled on what it would be. It's just a little acrylic painting. One afternoon was enough.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Especially the first one, but each one is beautiful. Which one did she choose?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She (the groom's aunt) too both. I'm actually not sure which she gave to the bride.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Nothing like working under pressure, Helen. You did a phenomenal job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I think a little bit of pressure is good for my productivity. Is that weird?

      Delete