Monday, July 27, 2020

A Sister's Gift

Sometimes the hardest part of creating a painting done as a memorandum is choosing just the right image... one that reminds... one that causes a happy memory to come to the surface... one that brings a smile.

A dear friend asked me to paint two of this type of painting recently.  I asked her if she'd like to write the post for them. 
Here is the first:

Since the pandemic began months ago, life has seemed more fragile than ever before. Finding a gift for a special family member or friend has become a quest. I "need" to give a gift that will be a lasting symbol of our relationship or a treasured memory. Helen's willingness to listen to each story attached to my photos has provided a way for me to satisfy this need. 
I have a loyal, longtime friend, Rita, who has survived two recent losses of loved ones. I wanted to give her an image to spark a positive memory for each of them. Helen suggested painting an object reflecting a life passion for each. Perfect! 
In March, Rita's sister lost her battle with Covid 19...just as most of us were beginning to pay attention to the warnings. It was a devastating loss for family and friends. For Rita to lose her older sister, traveling companion and friend, not long after George was incomprehensible. I learned that Patti was multi-talented as an artist, a gardener, and a designer of floral arrangements. Helen captured the beauty of this design for Patti's son's wedding perfectly. Another memory painting to be treasured!
It was a pleasure to work with her to make these gifts just right.

Original Oil Painting on 6"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

4 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful to be part of memory keeping for people! This is a beautiful painting...so joyful and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an honor to be trusted to put someone's story on canvas.

      Delete
  2. What a neat thing to do, and I love what you came up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wondered if I'd ever come up with the just-right image. In the end, I love how it turned out.

      Delete