Thursday, February 2, 2023

I Like Thursday 2/23

Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like our newest granddaughter who surprised us
 and joined the family 5 weeks early!
We love her so!
I like working the log splitter.
Holding a lever is sure a far cry from swinging an ax.
(Not that I've ever swung an ax...)
I like having all the firewood we'll need...
for years it looks like!
I like the pretty little eggs my pretty little hens lay.
I like Welcome Home Retreat...
a whole weekend filled with art, friends, food, and relaxation.
I like the SIX paintings I finished during our art weekend retreat.
I like having a nice fluffy snow
and knowing I don't have to go anywhere.
I like watching the cardinals come out when the ground is white.

LeeAnne gave several other prompts to think about. 
Here are a few quick answers to them:

Do you use a calendar? digital? like it? wall? brand? diary? desk? system to remember things?
I look at my Google calendar every single day.. I've got it color coded for different types of events, appointments, or reminders. I can see it on my phone, my tablet, or my computer. If something is not on the calendar... well, it just doesn't exist.

Do you make lists? how? phone? scrap of paper? what kinds of things? does it work?
I live by my lists.  There's something so satisfying about checking something off a list. I use Google Tasks.  I have 5 different lists that I can toggle to, but there are three that I look at every single day, multiple times each day. 1st - Daily - the 9 things I want to be sure I do each day. 2nd - To Do - The things that need to be done, met, taken care of 3rd - Reminders - Things that repeat (monthly or yearly for example)

I also have checklists on Google Keep.  These keep me on track, streamlined, and organized for specific things. The top three most used would be - Grocery List. House Cleaning List. Packing for Travel List.

What are your favorite colors?
Green & Purple - my favorite color combination.  If there is some turquoise or aqua mixed in, that's even better.

What do you like about Valentine's Day?
For all the years I was a teacher, Valentine's Day was a huge deal.  The kids loved opening each little card. There was always a party with cupcakes and so much excitement.  And there were always pretty boxes of chocolates for the teacher... me!  I'd have half a dozen or more of those heart shaped chocolate boxes. I might have a confession... I may have stuck my thumb in the back of those chocolates to see what was inside and eat the good ones first. 

16 comments:

  1. I'd be out there by that woodpile taking some cool photos of that stacked wood, for inspiration (me) and maybe a painting (you). Haha. Funny, I was thinking about the purple and green combo while pondering favorite colors the other day. I am a paper list maker; I like to cross things off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter ice storm is making us glad to have some of that wood ready to go! The thing about a digital list is that once you cross it off, it's just gone. With a paper list, you can still see it and have the satisfaction of seeing it crossed off.

      Delete
    2. I stick a finger in to see before the bite too, heh heh. Don't want the calories if you don't love the flavor. I liked the boxes with a map. Your paintings are so good, love elephants, the purple water is superb and moody, great portraits but the be happy is worthy of being a journal cover for sale at a book store isn't it? yes! Loved the cardinals splash of red against brown and white landscape. That's an art quilt inspiration
      LeeAnna

      Delete
    3. "Don't want the calories if you don't love the flavor." I love this!! Great policy to live by!
      Okay, that “Be Kind” one… I almost didn’t even do it. I didn’t think it would worth it or even look like anything. I thought I’d just slop it together to be done. I ended up thinking it was a mess. Then I started adding the white doodles, and everything began to change. I ended up loving how it all begin to tie together. It turned out 100% better than I thought it would.
      We laugh that it’s a sign of old age to get excited to say, “Come see the birds!” and even more so when we know what kind each one is!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the newest grandbaby! If feet are any indication, she wasn't held back much by being so early. That is a lot of firewood!

    I stick a finger in the backs of assorted chocolates too, but I only eat my favorites. I leave the cream ones for Hubby. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She was good size for being so early. After 26 days in the hospital, she's home now and just fine... getting lots of love from her big brother and big sister.
      And, I thought I was the only one who did that to chocolates! I'd for sure go for the caramel or nut ones first!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Helen! Oh my goodness - look at those little feet. What a sweetheart. Welcome to the world, little one. I know you are welcomed and well loved. Those cardinals!! My, how they stand out. That log splitter reminds me of the dad of Belle in Beauty and the Beast. He invented the log splitter, didn't he? Your retreat looks fun and that's a fabulous picture. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That little one is getting lots of love (hugs and pokes and pulls) from her big brother and sister. I get to meet her next week! I can't wait.
      I'd forgotten about Maurice's invention!!! Well, I'm just going to have to hum Beauty and the Beast songs the next time I'm running the splitter!

      Delete
  4. That's quite the list of Likes this week, Helen! Sweet baby toes? Congrats on your new granddaughter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... the new little one being healthy and home with family now ranks high above anything else. I'm looking so forward to meeting her in person in a few days!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the little person who has those precious little feet! Your wood stack is impressive. I did (and still do) the same thing with chocolates, but I usually just eat it anyway - lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I get to meet that little one tomorrow!
      And, yeah... you're right. I usually just eat the chocolate treat no matter what's inside.

      Delete
  6. Itty bitty granddaughter! Quite the stacks of firewood. I love all the colors and sizes of those eggs! Yay for friends, food and fun! Those cardinals are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have a reason to document things we like, don't you think!

      Delete
  7. Helen - hello! I am joining you from I Like Thursday! Congratulations on your new granddaughter! It looks like you had a fabulous retreat ... my favorite painting is the one with the gnomes. My dear neighbor gave me a dozen fresh farm eggs this week for my birthday - a precious gift these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to meet you! I finally got to meet that little one this week. There's nothing quite so sweet or so soft as a newborn.
      If you lived close, I'd be happy to share some eggs. We are getting more than we could possible use.

      Delete