Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Paint-iversary - 16 Years since that first painting - Square/Squiggle Self Portrait-ish

Years ago there was a teachers' professional development activity which involved a personality test.
We were told to imagine a circle... then a triangle... then a squiggle... then a square.  
After a time, we were instructed to focus on the one that we most naturally related to.
Then they had each group stand up in turn.
*** So many squiggles hopped up, laughing and talking about irrelevant things, pointing at friends both sitting and standing.
*** Quite a few triangles scattered across the auditorium stood up. They were working out the rules and checking out the others, making sure it was all being done correctly.
*** Lots of circles took their turn to stand. They were hugging and making sure everyone was happy, walking across aisles to greet other circles and smiling at non-circle friends.
*** Then it was time for the squares... and the weirdest, most uncomfortable thing happened. There was only a smattering of us across the room... like the superintendent, some principals, me... (Of course the circles were cooing that it was alright, the squiggles thought it was hilarious, and the triangles were working out whether it had been done right.) The few of us stood up, looked around, then sat back down.

Okay, so the point of personality tests is supposed to be that you see the value in every type, that we need all kinds, that there are positives for every one.

It doesn't matter which "test" is given - (I'm the lion in the lion-otter-golden retriever- beaver one.  I'm red in the blue-red-green-yellow one.  I'm the pointed lipstick in the lipstick one.) - I suppose we are who we are.

Not long after that, I started painting. On February 22, 2007 I painted a tree.  I couldn't believe I'd done it!  It looked like a tree!  I was so proud.

To say that art has changed my life is not and understatement.  It's simply the truth.

I know that I'll always be that "square" or "lion" or "red" or "pointy lipstick" girl.  I've tried to embrace that.  (The world needs a few of us or things would never get done!) But, I think art has caused some of those corners to round, brought some value to the squiggly.

On this 16th anniversary and my 650th painting, perhaps a self-portrait-ish painting could celebrate that.

Part of the idea for my painting came from the Willowing Arts Class I'm taking on-line this year.  The teacher (Tamara LaPorte) guided through the painting of this lovely blue haired fairy.


Tam also guided us through a wonderful playing-with-supplies exercise before beginning the blue haired girl.  
I have to admit that the "square" in me came out on this one.  The idea was to simply enjoy playing with paint and shapes and color.  (Such a squiggle thing to do.)  I know I missed the point with more of an okay- let's-get-this-done attitude. Ha ha ha

My word for the weekly-ish art challenge, by the way, was "Squares."  I'm pretty sure my work took a completely different direction than my partner expected!

Original Acrylic Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
[NFS at this time]

8 comments:

  1. I've spent the better part of my life thinking I was a triangle/square, now I realize I'm more squiggle/round (in so many ways - LOL). I'm okay with that. Your painting is lovely; I hope you have this one hanging in your studio where you can see it daily! It's a keeper! Here's to 650 more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how a silly little thing can feel like a huge thing... Yeah, I think I'll keep this one.

      Delete
  2. Happy Paint-iversary, Helen!! Love, love, LOVE that Square/Squiggle Self Portrait-ish!!! I think it would be interesting to discover how that was made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I first painted it normally, then I used painter's tape to make a grid... hard to explain in words... I'll send you a photo of how I did it.

      Delete
  3. I'm a circle... used to be a squiggle and might still have circles formed with squiggles
    glad to know you, happy you're painting
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my circle/squiggle friend! Painting has been a wonderful thing for me these last 16 years... Here's to the next 16!

      Delete
  4. What a fun evolution! Your painting is so very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, learning to be a painter has certainly been a journey. Thanks!

      Delete