Thursday, August 3, 2023

I Like Thursday 8/23

Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 
I like going to the garden filling my little gathering basket every day.
I like growing herbs.  I'm learning to use fresh herbs in cooking.
Basil... Oregano Rosemary... Chives... 



I like that this little mama decided that my peace lily
would be a good place to raise her family.

I like doing an art project with the middle schoolers at my church each summer.
I like putting a fresh peach in the blender, pouring it
over vanilla ice cream, then adding slivered almonds.
I like these six tiny humans who call us
Gram-E & Pop-E and make our family complete.
I like looking out the window first thing in the
 morning to see what the "neighbors" are up to.
I like this crazy cat who paws out fabric to make
just the bed he wants...I've put that fabric back dozens
of times and have told him not to do it again.
I like having butterflies visit the flowers.



Do you like to attend county fairs? Yes!  As long as I can remember, the county fair has been a part of life.  When I was a kid, the week of the fair was a big deal.  We bought carnival ride tickets at school. I think it was 10 rides for $5.00. My parents judged at the fair.  Dad judged livestock.  Mom judged in the sewing and canning sections. My friends and I ran around until our money ran out. It was much like when Fern and Avery spent the day at the county fair in Charlotte's WebWhat kinds of things you like to do there?  Now the fun of the fair is going with grandkids, pushing a stroller, holding a hot baby, sending a toddler on the little merry-go-round, pointing out the pretty chickens, sheep, and cows. What is your favorite "fair food" What food do you only eat at the fair, or look forward to?    We're pretty good about not eating fair food.  But one thing that is so tempting would be funnel cake, hot, right out of the grease, and topped with powdered sugar. Mmmmm...  What about Renaissance festival or regional festivals?  We've only been to one.  It was in Maryland when our son-in-law and daughter lived there.  We had no idea what to expect, but had such a good time!  What a shock that more people dressed up than didn't!  What fun! Tell us about a local festival/fair you've attended and what it's about?   Our city hosts Bikes, Blues, & Barbecue.  It's a motorcycle rally.  Since we have a Harley, we always go join in the crowd of bikes.  It's crazy loud and fun to be a part of. 

9 comments:

  1. That little bird in your plant is so fun. Amazing that she would choose that spot. Your herbs look good, and now I want peaches and ice cream, but I maybe should have breakfast first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a hint. Put the peach in the fridge first. If it's warm, it melts the ice cream!

      Delete
  2. I am with you. Being a grandparent is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing find in your peace lily! What a passel of grand kids! Lovely things all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there are happy (well, hungry) little baby birds in there now!
      And, yes... we are blessed beyond measure.

      Delete
  4. Wow what a sweet little bird! Do you still water the plant? I have 4 crazy cats just like yours. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I water it a little and on the other side from the nest. I figured that birds in a tree get some rain, so they'd be ok with a little water from the hose.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading about the fairs, and seeing your smiling faces with the littles

    ReplyDelete