Thursday, October 12, 2023

Salsa Recipe

This is a painting that's kind of a repeat for me.  I first painted a version of it about a decade ago and decided to paint it again thinking it might be a good one to do with a class of senior adult beginning painters in the spring. In my mind it was a good choice... simple design... only red and green (alizarin & veridian) make up the "black" background.  Those reds and greens are repeated in the tomatoes and pepper, so limited palette. 
So, I pretended to be a new painter and began. Ummmm.... no... Long story short, I will not be using this with a group of senior adult beginning painters.

The painting shows mostly what you need to make salsa.
My recipe? [Warning: I never measure exact amounts. I do have tortilla chips handy to taste test until it's right.]
  • Tomatoes
    • blend in the blender, skins and all.
    • heat in the microwave for a minute... wait, watch... the frothy tomatoey goodness rises to the top, and the tomato water sinks to the bottom... suck that water out with a turkey baster and freeze it to use in the next soup you make... use the thick top layer for your salsa
  • Onions
    • chopped - fine or chunky, whatever you like
    • white, yellow, or purple
  • Jalapenos
    • chopped
    • seeds in or out, up to you - or leave out completely if you like it mild
  • Bell Peppers
    • chopped in large chunks - so someone who hates them (me) can pick them out
  • Garlic
    • out of a jar or fresh cloves - whichever you want
  • Salt / Onion Salt / Pepper
    • as much as you need to make it taste just right
  • Lime or Cilantro 
    • if either of those suits you

If you've ever been to my house, this little painting might look familiar.  A much, much bigger version that I did several years ago hangs in my dining room.

My weekly-ish painting challenge was "In a Row."  Although the jalapenos are a bit out of line, these veggies are pretty much in a row.

Original Oil Painting on 6"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
Click Salsa Recipe if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

4 comments:

  1. Well, better you know now than in the midst of the class that it is not a good choice! Love that painting on your wall - it's so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! That's why I give it a trial run... or two... or three!
      Thanks. I love that one too. There are only a handful of my paintings that are on the not-for-sale list. This is one of them.

      Delete
  2. Is any painting simple to me (as a senior adult beginner), yeah NOT! :D
    The painting in your dining room is gorgeous.
    I think the taste testing with chips, for either salsa or queso, is my favorite part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now, I'd take you through the steps and you'd be surprised!
      And, thanks. I do love that painting in the dining room. I always think it looks very "me." I called it Salsa Grande!

      Delete