Tuesday, February 13, 2024

VW Van


Most people have a VW Bug story in their life.  I do. My best friend in high school drove a candy-apple red one... good times.

And, I drove a red one for 10 years until I traded it in for the green one I drive now.

But how about a VW Van story?
What a funny and recognizable vehicle. Somehow I always think of them being painted crazy with peace, love, rock & roll, or flower power symbols.

I've a story that seems like it should have a VW Van in it. 
In 2016 we took a trip to New York.  We went to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown for a couple of days.  Then we went to a  place called Inn at Lake Joseph.  (It was wonderful, and I'd recommend it with 10 stars. Have a look. https://lakejoseph.com/)
Anyway... on our last day, we drove into the little town.  We stopped in a funky little place for lunch and asked the teenaged waitress if there was anything interesting in the town we might want to see or do.  
"Not really.  There's like a museum thing down the road about like 10 miles.  It's called Woodstock. There'll be a sign.  I haven't been. Some people like to go there." 
Wait... Do you mean Woodstock, Woodstock???
"I guess so. They had a big concert or something there a long time ago."
What?... 10 miles? Which road?

We had such an unexpected good time! 
Ok, now that I've gone back to find the pictures, I see that it's a bus and not a VW van... shoot, I remembered wrong.... oh well...

Look back at the painting... Did you notice it? If you  listen  look really closely, you'll hear see music coming from the radio and blowing away on the breeze!

My Weekly-ish painting challenge was "Ride." 
A VW Van would be a pretty cool ride... cooler if it was painted with peace signs and flowers though...

Original Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas.
Click VW Van if you'd like to have this little painting for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. My brother had a red bug for awhile, before I knew how ot drive. To this day, I've always wanted a bug (yellow, please). I did not know about the Woodstock museum, but that convo you had with the waitress has me chuckling! Hahaha. Nice painting, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about driving a bug... everybody notices you on the road! And you know that kids are slug-bug-ing or punch-buggy-ing their brother or sister as they see you go by. Ha ha ha!

      Delete
  2. That van is adorable! I was planning my wedding during Woodstock and not "into" it at all. We saw photos of girls that were topless and I was horrified - lol! My brother had a Volkswagen Karmann Ghia that I tried to drive one time but at that time had not yet mastered the stick shift (that came when I was 40!), but other than that no experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're showing our ages. I was 5, so I knew nothing about it. We had a surprise of a lovely afternoon and ended up with a good story to tell. That said, what we learned of the actual Woodstock... oh my... what a disgusting mess... just gross...

      Delete