Sunday, July 21, 2024

Southern Cooking Measurements


I love to cook. I love to cook, but I tend to see recipes as suggestions.  When I found this little set of measuring spoons, I thought they were perfect for  me.  I like to use a tad of this, a dash of that, a pinch of one thing, a drop of another.  I also have some bigger measurements... like a handful, a bunch, a pile, or just plain some. 

My Weekly-ish Painting Challenge was "Found Object."  I found these in an estate sale while visiting my sister's crafting retreat, Welcome Home Retreat, in Weatherford, Texas.

Original Oil Painting on 6"x 8" Wrapped Canvas
Click Southern Cooking Measurements if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

10 comments:

  1. I'd like to say that I cook that way, but I only do with recipes I know well. Hubs is more of a "recipe rebel", just kinda doing his own thing. I am the baker in the family, which requires precision, although I fudge now and then while making bread and it still seems to work. Another nice painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Hubs & I would get along just fine in the kitchen. You are right about baking requiring precision. Hmmm... maybe that's why I don't bake! Ha!

      Delete
  2. Haha, those spoons are perfect! Granny used to say a "knob of butter", that was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knob... I haven't heard that! Now, I might just put a "flob" of something in the soup pot!

      Delete
  3. I have some dash/pinch, spoons but seldom use them. Recipe as suggestion, me too. And I want it all done as quickly as possible so I can return to "real life" one of the million things I like more than cooking. I mostly use recipes to bake but not to cook.
    Your art is so realistic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these are more for look than actual use. I do agree that baking requires sticking to the recipes. Hmm... Maybe that's why I never bake!
      Sometimes I do try for realism. Thanks. I still want my paintings to be painterly or artistic though.

      Delete
  4. Too cute, Helen! These are my standard measurements. It drives DS2 mad, as he's a "by the book" sort of cook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good compromise... Use the exact recipe the first time, then do what you need to do to make it better the next time.

      Delete
  5. Love this painting - and yes I often cook like this, always have because that's how I learned to cook. There are times you need more precise measurements though. I enjoy just playing it by ear when i can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I do know how to "obey" the recipe when I need to! :)

      Delete