Thursday, September 5, 2024

I Like... 9/24

Thank you to Leeanne of Not Afraid of Color for reminding me to notice things I like. 

I like these feathered friends.
The red ones - Foxy, Pip, Jolene. The gray ones - Ruby Jean, Pauline. They white one - Ellie. The yellow ones - Trudi, Judy, Beauty. The black & white one - Vindegaard. The brown one - Twinkle. Not shown - Fancy-like, Marie, Masie. And... the rooster - Pete
.
I like lining the back porch with all the houseplants during summer. 
They like it too.
I like cooking with fresh herbs. I like having them so convenient.
I like tomato-bacon-tomato sandwiches.
I like having forest friends. If they're smart enough to open the hens food bin and help themselves, they'll get a surprise they probably won't.
 knowing that autumn is coming. How?
The squirrels sit in the big hickory tree tossing down the nut hulls. 
You can hear them hit the deck like rain, and you cannot walk on the deck without shoes.
I like seeing the couple of leaves that hint to what's coming!
I like seeing deer nearly every day.
I like finding a tiny little egg. 
That means that one of the two chicks is officially a hen now.
(Interesting farmer's wife tale fact:
I know it's Marie because she has goldish legs.
Maisy had grayish legs, so her eggs will be blue.)

I like these two guys who keep the yard around the garden tidy. 
I also like that some of the plants are finished for the year.
Garden season isn't over, but it's slowing down.
I like these jump stumps behind my garden.  
We were so tired of splitting logs from the big tree a couple of years ago.
We "'hid" these behind the garden. I had a bunch of old paint to use up.
Voila! The grand kids love jumping from one to the other.

I like having chickens in the backyard. They're so funny.
I like the colors of the harvests.
I like my outdoor office space.


LeeAnne's  get-to-know-you writing topics this month:

What calming exercises have you successfully used in the past to maintain a level mood?
Hmmm... This is a trickier one this month! Pretty personal... Of course it depends on the situation.  ... Let's see... a level mood...
I play a game of Double Free Cell on the computer.  
I write in my personal journal.
I sing "Peace Like a River." 
If you've seen the play "Hamilton," you'll know that Aaron Burr is pretty much the bad guy.  He does, after all,  shoot Alexander Hamilton and kill him.  But, I did like his advice in the very beginning. He said, "Smile more. Talk Less." 

17 comments:

  1. What a fun post to read! I get to see the chickens and Pete, all of your lovely plants and herbs - and you! The potted chicken cracks me up. I'm not sure I have a level mood - haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate LeeAnna for hosting I Like Thursdays. It's so good to take notice of all the things I like during the month.

      Delete
  2. Fancy-like has probably the best name ever - makes me laugh every time I think of her. You have a nice wide ledge for those plants! I like those TBT sandwiches too, but mine have a layer of Duke's. ;) Reading your post makes me miss our 5 acres in south Texas. But I don't miss the dirt road in front of it, or the love bugs that tormented us every year, so I'm fine just reading about your wonderful farm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent that picture of the bacon, tomato, French onion dip, & Ruffles to my sisters. I told them if I ended up in a situation where I was granted one last meal, this would be what I'd want them to bring me.
      Fancy-like is the cutest tiny white bantam chicken with fluffy feet feathers.

      Delete
  3. the hen in the planter.... love the garden shots, and it's okay to share some personal things here, I appreciated it. I forgot how much I rely on certain repetitive games too. It's safe to share, especially when you have a legion of protective chooks
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so appreciate you hosting this platform. It helps me notice things along the way each month.

      Delete
  4. Love those chickens. They're a hoot! Pretty eggs - I had no idea they'd lay really small eggs when they're young (but that makes sense). Tomato and bacon were meant to go together. Yum. I like what you did with the stumps. How creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those stumps... I love them. I know there's a fine (or is it fuzzy?) line between whimsical and tacky, and I think I'm living right on the border between the two! Ha ha!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now I want to make jump stumps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those jump stumps look like a lot of fun! And I love the blue and brown eggs arranged in a floral design. The photo of your outdoor office space with your two chicken coworkers made me smile. Thanks for popping by my blog today -- nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad LeeAnna gives the reminder to notice all the regular, everyday things that we like.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! I lofe all the chicken pictures! My neighbor has four -- a white one, a golden one, a white & yellow one, and -- my favorite -- a black one. Do you know the Nursery Rhyme Hickety, Pickety My Black Hen? I always recite it to her when I see her up at the fence! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, but each hen (and Pete the rooster) does have a distinct personality.

      Delete
  9. Today's post was filled with so much "good" stuff - the chickens, plants, and your lawn maintainers, but the cherry on top is the jump stumps - what a fun and creative way to make use of them for all to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thanks! And those stumps just sort of "happened." But those unexpected things are sometimes the best kind.

      Delete