Thursday, June 18, 2026

Big Sunflowers

Can you tell me about this piece?
Well... it's a painting of some really big sunflowers.
What was your inspiration?
Um... I've had some really big canvases that have been taking up too much closet space for a while.
How did you plan this particular painting?
Plan? Oh... I found a photo I'd taken in my dad's sunflower patch a few years ago. Then I sketched in circles where the centers would be. Next I squirted out some paint.
Did you use special tools or techniques?
Special? No... not special... I used an old chip brush and a one-inch brush... held only at the tip like you'd hold a magic wand. I used the side of an old credit card for smearing. I used a spray bottle to cause dripping. I used a piece of sponge for dabbing.
Did you enjoy the process?
I loved it!
This white one was a lesson a while back.  I wondered if I could pull off another one on my own. "Sunflowers" was my Weekly-ish challenge. It was a good reason to try!

Original Acrylic Painting on 24"x 24" Wrapped Canvas
They're on my wall right now, and I love seeing them there, but click Big Sunflowers if you'd like to see this painting on your own wall!
 

6 comments:

  1. I can tell you had a blast making this one, just by your description! I bet you grin each time you look at it! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your self interview - lol! It's just lovely and proves the point we really don't need anything "fancy" to create something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Good point! But, is this self-admission that I might talk to myself!!!

      Delete
  3. Hello Helen, I absolutely love this! It is beautiful! I really appreciate your artistic talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! Isn't it fun! One day someone will buy it, but for now, it looks pretty great on my own wall! It makes me smile!

      Delete