Monday, August 2, 2010

Grandpa's Smokehouse


This was the little building behind my grandpa's house that the cousins were never allowed to go in; however, I know that when my mom and her brothers and sisters were young, it was an important part of their farm life - the smokehouse.

Just as important as the smokehouse was the garden beside it. I do have many memories of the garden. When I was very small, I got to ride on Prince, the big brown mule, while Grandpa plowed the long rows. (I know that tillers were usually used by that time, but Grandpa and Prince worked the rows just as they had done for years.) My strongest memories from the garden involve dealing with its produce. Strawberries to slice and cover with sugar to freeze... Peas to shell... Beans to snap... Cabbage to shred and salt for kraut... Tomatoes to blanch for canning... Egg plant to, hmmm, I don't remember what we did with the egg plant...

"Grandpa's Smokehouse" was recently featured in an Etsy treasury (collection of art pieces and vintage items) celebrating Pawpaw's Place.

If you would like to purchase a giclee or print of "Grandpa's Smokehouse," contact me.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. I love the outdoors and this is so comforting.

    ReplyDelete