Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Grandpa's Smokehouse

Why don't we pay more attention when we have the opportunity?
I would love to tell a story about what adventures my cousins and I had in or behind this smokehouse.  I'm sure they'd be fascinating.  But, I have to admit that I never paid any attention to it.  It sat there between my grandparents' house and their garden and never seemed interesting.  I guess its time had passed.  By the time I came along, there were refrigerators for storing meat and super markets for selling it any day of the week.


I wonder what went on in there... I wonder how often it was used... I wonder if it was clean or nasty... I wonder what the process was for actually smoking the meat... I wonder if maybe it still sits near Meyer Creek near Crystal Springs outside of Hot Springs...


"Grandpa's Smokehouse" was one of the paintings chosen for an Etsy treasury (collection of art pieces and vintage items) called A Day in the Farm with  My Grandpa.  Also check out At the Farmhouse where each item in the collections make you long for the simplicity of  your grandpa's and grandma's house.  And, finally, visit Spring for reminders that winter will come to a close soon!

Original Oil Painting - 16"x 20" 
[SOLD]


Grandpa's Smokehouse" can be purchased in several forms.
Contact me if you'd like to purchase this image as a giclee, a print, or note cards.

1 comment:

  1. I really love this picture of your Grandpa's Smokehouse. I reminds me of going to my grandparent's house in the summer time out on the farm. Being from the city, all of the buildings and machinery..and especially the garden were awesome and mysterious. It was a wonderful experience that I carry with me. Thanks for posting my Purple Garden..Spring Dream Treasury.

    ReplyDelete