Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Lake Catherine Lodge


My friend Sarah asked me to paint her family's special lake house.  Sarah was one of my grade-level teaching partners.  They were so over-the-top good to me during my last weeks and days.  I told each of them that I'd do a painting for them whenever they found an image they wanted me to do.  That was two years ago.  Last week I got a message from Sarah. She had the picture she wanted.  So, I got to work.
There's always some pressure when working on a commissioned piece, a little anxiety until I know the person receiving it is pleased. She was. 
"The Lake Catherine Lodge was built by my granddaddy back in the 60s on Entergy Power Plant land. It's a special place where all my family gathers each year. I remember swimming off the dock with my cousins and staying up late talking when we were just kids. Now our kids are doing the same thing. The painting is perfect and will be a great memory my family cherishes for many years."

It was a pleasure to work on this one because I love painting images that have a story and that I have a connection to.  She gave me the story, the family memories tied to it.  As for my connection... Well, just one lake over from Lake Catherine is Lake Ouachita where my own family has almost the same memories, and it even looks so similar! I was painting her story and my own at the same time. The first time we went, our daughter was a toddler and we were expecting our son.  This year will be our 29th year, and this time we'll have a little granddaughter and grandson with us... Full circle...
Click back and have a look at Lake Ouachita 2017










Original Oil Painting on 12"x 16 Wrapped Canvas
[GIFT]

No comments:

Post a Comment