Wednesday, June 12, 2019

The Color of June (Orange Lilies)


I think of each month in spring as having its own color.
March gets yellow with all its daffodils and forsythia.
April would be pink and white with blooming dogwoods, Bradford pears, red buds, and azaleas.
May takes purple of all shades with irises.
And, June gets orange.

I used this thought as I planned a flower bed in our backyard.  My idea was to create a long row stretching from my garden to the chicken coops. In this long row, I'd plant daffodils in the front to be beautiful in March.  (Yes, I have dogwoods and azaleas for April, but those don't really fit in a bed of bulbs.)I'd plant irises in the back to make May beautiful. Then I'd plant tiger lilies and day lilies for a pretty June.

Let's see how that worked out.
This is the third year, and the daffodils put on their show beautifully!
The irises have gotten thick and beautiful.

Hmmm... Where is the picture of all the lilies I planted?  And why does it look like there's a blank row down the middle between the irises flags and the daffodils? What could have happened?

Here's a picture of the lilies before I dug them up
from my parent's last home to transplant them to my row.
Now you'd think that if I'd planted them incorrectly (Ummm... poking the root in the ground and watering) that a few would have survived. But not even one single lily appeared.

I found a picture of the row just after I'd planted it.  You'll see it there in the background... behind that aggravating pest gorgeous doe  who's probably teaching her babies how to search for my delicious lily bulbs guiding her precious twin fawns across our yard. The ungrateful thing can't just enjoy the corn we put out and leave our other plants alone.  We adore our deer and never fail to get a thrill each day when we see them.

Since I don't have any beautiful orange lilies of my own, (Insert my sad face here.) it was a pleasure to paint these.  I did this little painting to participate in the Paint and Draw Together Artist Challenge.  Every few weeks there's a new image for artists to use.  I'm fascinated by the varied artistic styles.  Every painting is both exactly the same and completely different at the same time.

Original Oil Painting on 8"x 10" Wrapped Canvas
Click "The Color of June" if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

2 comments:

  1. LOL but not really on the darn I mean gorgeous deer! We had to deal with them AND with moose...ate and totally annihilated my precious strawberry patch one summer. Love the lilies painting; funny here in the east of Canada they call them tiger lilies but in the west those are day lilies and tiger lilies grow wild in the ditches and look more Asiatic and are an incredible deep blood-red orange. I like my western (Alberta) tiger lilies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are highlights and frustrations that go along with having wildlife nearby... Although I cannot even imagine a MOOSE in my yard!
      They both have the orange flower, but I believe tiger lilies and day lilies are two different flowers. I used to have plenty of both. I'll send you a couple of photos to show the difference. :)

      Delete