Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Strawberries in a Bowl

I started this painting... hmmm... maybe 2 1/2 years ago. I read about my quilting friends having UFOs (which I think stands for UnFinished Object or something like that... They never really say). They seem to have a lot of them. I'm really not too bad at having unfinished painting projects.  I usually start something and finish it before going on to the next one.

My painting partner Julie and I used this little still life when we taught two beginning oil painting classes.  I think you'll notice a pretty obvious clue as to when this class took place.  (I suppose there's no need to blur out faces when you can't see them anyway!)

When we team-teach, we also team-paint.  One will talk about a step in the process while the other paints it, then we switch.  The other talks about the next step while the first works on the painting. We paint quickly and don't particularly finish anything as the purpose is just to model the process. Anyway, we end up with a couple of unfinished paintings (UFOs, I suppose.)
After the classes, I brought one of them home and put it in the art room intending to go back over the whole thing, spruce it up, finish it. 
But... life... terrible ice storms... grandson born... time in the NICU... kept granddaughters... COVID... dad got COVID... time in hospice...  family in town... life stuff, you know... The little painting got under art room stuff and was forgotten.

The other day I read a meme that said something like this, "Statistics show that people who have messy art spaces and too many art supplies tend to live longer lives than those who point it out."

Anyway, after rediscovering it, I gave it new life. 

Original Oil Painting on 8"x 8" Wrapped Canvas
Click Strawberries in a Bowl if you'd like to purchase this little painting.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, UFO "unfinished objects" but your painting could also be a WIP "work in progress" but now it's neither because it is finished and beautiful. Your tag team approach is brilliant, by the way, great idea so that both visual and auditory learners can get the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You quilters do have your own language!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we do have our own weird language - lol! Glad you finished this one, it's a beauty. Is that you, sitting, in that last photo? If it is, do you always sit and reach up high to paint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Julie painting. Yes, we try to do that so that the students can watch. If we stood in front of they canvas, they couldn't see what we were doing. Also (as the masks are a clue) it was during a time when we weren't wanting them to all come gather close around. It's a little awkward to paint above your head, but we manage.

      Delete
  4. Whew, I am sure relieved reading that quote. Means I have a couple more years in me. Also, I gave up the shovel and have moved to renting the bulldozer so there is less physical stress cleaning up!!! Yay for you on finishing. I used to have unfinished, but now seem to just plow through to the bitter end.

    ReplyDelete