Saturday, April 20, 2019

Harmony

My friend Sandra asked me if I'd be willing to do a painting that would commemorate or celebrate her daughter's wedding.  Of course, I said that I'd love to.  I told her to send me a few images that we might choose from. 
Ok... the truth... 
I imagined she'd want a picture of some of the wedding flowers... or a slice of the cake... or their rings... or... or... I don't know... some little sweet wedding token thing... but... noooooo.... 
The photos came and they were the whole bride and groom!!!
Ohhhhhh... dear... deep breath... I can do this... 
     How in the world can I pull this off?!... 
It's just colors and shapes... just values and textures... 
     It's humans with arms and hands and faces!... 
I'm not afraid of a challenge... 
     How did I get into this?!... 
It is such a beautiful image... 
     A solid white wedding dress, for Pete's sake!... 
I can't wait to begin... 

Do you know how many times I've eagerly agreed to do something then realized with a sick feeling that I couldn't imagine how I could actually accomplish it? Well,I'll tell you... A lot! 
But... I guess that's how we get better, and it is oh, so satisfying when it does come together in the end!

Sandra sent me a half a dozen photos to choose from.  I sent back my feedback on each one so that she could make the final choice. I explained the positives and negatives about turning each one into a painting.  I tried to be neutral, but I'm pretty sure I didn't fool her.  I think she knew which one I was rooting for. 
These were my comments about this image:
  • +They just look so peaceful.  I love the stories that each of these photos tells, but somehow this one feels like it's about the "marriage" not just the "wedding."  I love it.
  • +They aren't centered.  I love that.
  • + Her bouquet makes and appearance, but it's not trying to steal the show.
  • +They seem so relaxed. A kiss on the forehead, eyes closed, arms draped (not posed).
  • + The background is a medium value so her dress and his suit both would show up.
  • + The background is natural. Nature is always good. Nothing in the background would demand the attention of the eye.
  • - Yes, the veil is gorgeous.  Is it bad that I'd want to paint it going down instead of straight out.  I just think the tone of the whole piece is so calm. **The wind had blown it straight out behind her.
  • - I see that the train of the dress is cut off in the photo, but I could fix that.
Because Sandra is also an artist, (Although she uses fabrics instead of paint - you must visit her blog and see her quilts.) I asked her if she wanted to follow along with my progress.  It's really the first time I've ever sent pictures of every little step of the process. I made her promise to trust me even while the painting was deep in the ugly stages.  She did.  It was fun.

I asked Sandra if she'd give her thoughts on the finished painting. This was the response written to the beautiful bride, her daughter.
This painting captures the way I see your relationship: a contentment, an equality, an ease of being in each others' arms that's born of partnership, love. and care for each other....and for a fluffy feline! May loads of love, happiness and contentment be in your lives for always. 
I love the thoughts.
I love the story told by this image.
I'm so glad she trusted me to put it on canvas.

Original Oil Painting on 16"x 16" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

No comments:

Post a Comment