Saturday, March 7, 2020

Flamingo Flower


You know that funny house plant with the red flowers that aren't like flowers but more like red heart-shaped leaves? Your aunt probably has a huge one in her sun room... mine does. You probably look longingly at it when you visit... I do.
Well, I bought one, and it has a name...Anthurium... Hmmm... That doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.  But wait!  It gets better!  It's sometimes called a flamingo flower. I... Love... That...

This pretty little flamingo flower was going to be the answer to my dilemma.  I knew I'd paint a still life with a red flower and its shadow as a response to the Inspiration Collaboration March Image; however, I had a problem. I do not enjoy painting flowers.  I'm not good at them. I avoid them. (I don't mean big petal ones like lilies and sunflowers. I like those.  I mean the  fluffy, usually red ones like peonies and roses. I'm terrible at those.) Crisis averted! A red flower that's not a red flower!

Thank you for being my model, my pretty little flamingo flower!  I hope I can keep you alive!

Original Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
Click Flamingo Flower if you'd like to purchase this painting.

.

2 comments: