Thursday, May 21, 2020

My Art Studio

I love seeing where other people do their art, their creative spaces.  
Recently I spiffed mine up! I organized, tidied, straightened, tossed, and cleaned.

My place for doing artsy and crafty things is called The Fonzie Room.  (You remember Happy Days? The Fonz lived in the room above the Cunningham's garage.)  When it was the kids' play room and later their teenage hang out, it was the  Fonzie Room.  After they grew up and moved away, I made it into an art room.  
I decided then that I'd change its name... I would have called it The Garret, but I once had a super annoying student with that name, so that was out.  

I picked The Atelier.   It's a French word that means an artist's workshop, an art studio, a space for creativity to flourish.  What a perfect new name!
It has a French pronunciation, but if you use your best Southern redneck accent and exclaim, "I tell ya!"  then you've pretty much got it.

I tried, but the change never took.  It will always be The Fonzie Room.
At the top of the stairs, before you enter, you pass this little sign on the wall.
It's filled with things that make me feel happy and creative...
... from one end to the other.
I've painted sitting in this purple chair so many hours.
From left to right I've got everything I need: a small table for my palette... a dinosaur head squirter for the too curious cat... a photo viewer for my reference pictures... and easel for the canvas... way too many brushes (why don't I throw some away!)... a foot stool because I'm short... speakers for listening to an audio book or country music... drawers holding tubes of paint, blot scraps, rulers, palette knives, pens and all the other painting tools... and a computer.

Buff Kitty is lounging and bathing himself on the tables where my painting partners used to be and will be again as soon as COVID-19 worries are behind us!
Even the corner behind the elliptical machine.
From bottom to top every inch is filled: fabric... yarn... more fabric... a No Whining sign that used to hang in my classroom...  paintings that wait for someone to give them a forever home... Wampum necklaces that tell the stories from the most memorable events in my life... and a few school mementos...

So much (very important, yes-I-do-need-it-all) stuff!
You can ask about any specific thing, and I can tell you the story behind it and why I want it always. Lots of supplies and materials are stored inside those cubbies.
This corner holds my sewing machine, serger, irons, and all the "stuff" that goes along with that. Next is my Cricut and all of its "stuff."  There's a story behind every single thing on the wall there.  Just ask if you want to know! I'll tell you one....  See that off-white bread box.  It sat on my mother's counter for as long as I can remember.  Now it holds very important artist needs... (like gum, almonds, chocolate, candy corn, pretzels...)
I've been talking to my dear friend who used to teach writing with me.  We were talking about the word "stuff."  Usually you can find a much better word, but sometimes, you just need the word "stuff." This corner has all my other "stuff."  I'll point out a couple.  My bags from Welcome Home Retreat are hanging there ready to be filled and taken for a weekend of crafting!  The fishing tackle tower of drawers is filled with buttons.  They were my mom's.  I don't use buttons often, but I sure do love coming to the top of my stairs and seeing them as I enter The Atelier,  I mean, The Fonzie Room.
If you scroll up and look again, you'll see that I have a thing for wind chimes.  There's one above each work station.  You never know when you need to celebrate an accomplishment!
(I got this particular one last week for my 35th wedding anniversary!)
Hmmm... Buff... What are you doing?

Any guess as to what my favorite two colors might be?
I would love to see your art space!

6 comments:

  1. What a happy, lovely space! I think you should blend the two names, and call it the Fonzatelier! Haha. Okay, maybe not! Favorite colors must be green and teal (maybe?). Or purple? Love the breadbox and what it holds - how fun is that?! What a great creative space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to see yours too!
      Fonzatelier... Hmmm... I might just try it!

      Delete
  2. I still cannot get over how your atelier and mine are, or were identical in shape, colour, right down to the windows. Now that we extended out over the kitchen, my upper half-storey is L-shaped, and I now sew east-west instead of north-south as I used to, but our north end of the house where our bedroom is, is still identical to the look of your end windows...are they north-south too?! It's such a cosy and welcoming and much-loved space (ha! the breadbox; Mum had one on her counter too, though it was metal and had flowers painted on the sliding lid). One day my room will be as organized as yours. Lovely visit, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought the same thing as I've watched pictures of yours when you've occasionally posted a photo that shows your art space. Mine's facing NE-SW. I'm glad it gives a warm, cozy, welcoming feeling. I want it to be that way... for others as well as just for myself.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy seeing where people create. What a lovely space you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to! Whether it's a simple table with bulletin board or a corner or a room or something portable that can be set up anywhere, I love seeing the tools of the trade, the touches of the person.

      Delete