Friday, May 29, 2020

Superhero Cape (How To)

One of my favorite things in the world is making something out of nothing... Giving value to something worthless...  Turning trash into treasure... Up-cycling. 

I'm not a great seamstress, but I can sew.
I'm not a how-to blogger, but I can't help being a teacher at my core.

That said, here's a little sewing how-to for you!
These were made from the backs of old colored tee shirts.

This one was made from an old red tee shirt and a white one dyed orange.
This one was made from silky nightgown material...
because my Millie is more twirly-swirly dancing princess than superhero.
Cut off the arms. 
They probably had holes or stains anyway
.
Cut down the neckline.
Use the arms for the shape and letter.
In hindsight, I wish I'd just dyed the whole sleeve and cut later.
Hot water, salt, and swish.  It doesn't take much!
Glass bowls on the counter is probably a bad idea, but I lived dangerously.

Make sure it all gets covered,
unless you want it to be splotchy.
The longer it sits,
the darker it gets.
Dry it. Iron it. Use fusing to hold the shape in place.  
Zig-zag or use a fancy stitch all around the shape and letter.
Rip all the stitching out when you realize you should have done a tighter stitch .
Be mad at yourself. Start over.
Sew right sides together leaving the bottom open.
Because you're using tee shirts, the bottom should already be finished.
Turn right side out. Press seams neatly.
Sew same zig-zag or fancy stitch all around the edges,
but don't mess it up this time.
Stitch Velcro to the front of one neck piece and to the back of the other.

2 comments: