Friday, November 6, 2020

Someone to Watch Over Me

I want each my paintings to tell a story on canvas. 
I feel like this one does.

I love it when out of the blue I get an e-mail asking if I might be able to do a special painting for someone.  Once I learn the reason... the story, I begin to bond with the story that the blank canvas will begin to tell.

Before I can begin, though, there are details to work out:  Which photo will be used? (The best photograph doesn't necessarily make the best painting.) What size of canvas will be right? (It depends both on the subject and on the commitment of wall space.) What shape of canvas will be right for the composition? (Square, vertical, horizontal) What is the timeframe? (A few weeks or as soon as possible?)

I want to make clear that none of my paintings is ever going to be an exact duplicate of a photo. I like having freedom to use my artistic license when needed.  While I won't make up random things, I can make tweaks. So the last question is always, "Is there anything you would like to see changed, removed, or added?"  
This time I got some pretty specific requests.
Could you change the neighborhood outside the window to a fall scene?
Could you incorporate a red heart or some red hearts somewhere?
Could you add a redheaded woodpecker?
Wow... ummm... okay... those are some pretty specific requests.  My e-mail reply probably said, "Sure!" My mind was probably reeling with, "How in the world am I going to accomplish those!"  But, because I knew the story... the reasons, I knew I'd find a way. And, I did.
I hope that the real story is honored by the story put on canvas.

We'll see if this works... 
I thought you might like watching the process. Let me know what you think!

Original Oil Painting on 11"x 14" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]


4 comments:

  1. How cute! Brings back memories of when my kids were littles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks & Good! I want my paintings to evoke memories!

      Delete
  2. I find it so interesting to watch your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to see it layer itself through the stages, isn't it.

      Delete