Thursday, December 3, 2020

Revisiting Christmas Past

I love coming across old fireplace chimneys.  I wonder about the house that it used to be a part of. I wonder about the family that sat by its hearth.
We discovered this one on a hiking trail in a nearby state park.
 I pass this one on the way to the grocery store.
Sometimes you just have to stop the car right in the road and snap a picture.
Christmas Past
 I painted this chimney twice in 2010 and decided 2020 was a good time to revisit it. 
Remember When...
When I painted this ten years ago, this is what I wrote:
This chimney sits along the road that goes between my two brothers' houses.  It just sits there in a little field all alone, but it's not lonely.  Imagine what this old chimney has seen.  I can imagine it kept  a family's cabin warm for years and years.  I can imagine the farmer who stacked the logs and built the fire.  I can imagine his wife who poked the logs and kept the fire going.  I can imagine the children doing homework in front of it.  I can imagine a cat curled up on the hearth.  I can imagine stockings hanging from the mantle year after year.  I can imagine... 

I knew that I'd revisit Christmas Past the moment I saw Sara's December inspiration image on Inspiration Collaboration. If the black birds could decorate a Christmas tree in a snowy field with lights and ornaments, then cardinals could hang stockings and garland on a mantle.

Original Oil Painting on 8"x 10" Wrapped Canvas
Click Revisiting Christmas Past if you'd like to purchase this painting.
Christmas Past is available in giclee or print. Contact me if you're interested.

4 comments:

  1. How intriguing to find so many abandoned chimneys! I don't think I've ever seen one. It certainly does make one wonder and imagine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?? Really?? Hmmm... Funny how you assume that something you're used happening onto is just as common everywhere else. Well, I hope that one day you DO happen across an old chimney. Then you can imagine and wonder about it!

      Delete
  2. I always wonder about the stories left behind of abandoned houses, or parts of the home, like your fireplace. I've always thought it would be fun to take a trip and just snap photos of old houses along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that sounds like an interesting project!

      Delete