Sunday, January 10, 2021

Turtles on a Log

 

Nothing to see here… can barely even see the lake… just a bunch of twigs and branches and logs. Unless… Unless you look more closely!

You never realize how many turtles are living in a pond until the sun is shining brightly on an otherwise chilly day. Then they crawl up on the logs to bask in the light and try to soak up the warmth. (Somehow this makes the idea swimming in a pond or lake a bit less appealing to me!)

**You’ll just have to trust me that there were three times as many turtles on those logs seconds before I took the reference photo.  You see, I was on a hike with about 50 ten year olds.  Kids don’t really come walking around the bend in a quiet and peaceful way that would encourage turtles not to slip off the logs and back into the water.

Sara's inspiration image for January's Inspiration Collaboration showed a tangle of maple branches against the background of the cold sky with one thing that didn't belong, a pinecone perched there on the maple twigs. My response was to paint twigs and branches and logs on the cool lake with something at the center that doesn't... well, actually does... belong.

I' enjoyed seeing this one on my own wall for a while.  My country girl spirit finds something very calming about it.

Original Oil Painting on 9"x 12" Wrapped Canvas
[SOLD]

2 comments:

  1. Of course, this brings back memories, too. I grew up swimming in nearby lakes, and it was always a "thrill" to feel a fish swish between your legs. You got used to it, eventually :-) I was always on the lookout for turtles; I once had four of them all together, and named them after the Monkees - Davy, Mickey, Peter and Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hey, we're the Monkees and people say we monkey around!!!!
      Ok... My adult brain does not understand the logic of this, but when we were kids, we'd go to the creek or lake and throw rocks at the snakes and turtles so that they'd slip off the rocks. Once they were "gone," that would be the all clear to hop in to splash around and enjoy the water. Umm... What on earth were we thinking!?

      Delete