Saturday, February 13, 2021

How Do You Say Peony?

Is it PEE-uh-nee?
Or is it pee-OH-nee?
I didn't even know that first one was an option until a few years ago!
Either way, it looks like somebody turned the volume up on this pretty pink peony!

It didn't start out this bold.  It's been through a few "I'm finished" moments.

I've always hated... been afraid of... avoided... been challenged with painting what I call "fancy, fluffy flowers" like roses, peonies, carnations, etc. so I turned to a YouTube lesson for some help. (YouTube's a great teacher when you don't have a teacher handy.)  I picked a YouTube artist whose peony painting was beautiful, and her instructions were easy to follow. 

Day 1
I did my best to follow her process, match her strokes, use her colors. At the end of the session, it was a good try. It looked like a peony.
But, it was ugly, and I was frustrated. 
I wiped it off. 
Day 2
I determined to try again.  I followed her, but not as closely.  Somewhere during that time, I began to understand that I was painting one flower, not twenty separate petals. That sounds silly to say, but it changed my mindset. 
I finished the peony!
I was pleased.
Then I stepped back and looked at it.
It had the right shape, but it was cold and lifeless.
Well, that was disappointing...
Day 3
I took a photo to look at it on a screen and get a different perspective, and I decided it was worth saving... my way. 
I brought it to life... and maybe put it on steroids... but I do love this "fancy fluffy flower" now.

This week's art challenge phrase was "Lots of Pink." I certainly did use lots of pink.

Oil Painting on 8"x 10" Wrapped Canvas
Click Bold Pink Peony if you'd like to purchase this painting.

2 comments:

  1. Round these neck of the woods, we use the first pronunciation most often, I think. They are one of my favorite flowers. I like your finished version!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It kind of took on a life of its own once I changed the coloring.

      Delete