Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Meow!

The longer I look at this funny little kitty, the more I like it.  Her attitude makes me smile. It was my first mixed media collage to do all by myself. 
What a (delightful) mess!
I think it's a requirement to get out every single artsy thing I own to make my Gelli papers... Artsy things as well as some almost-trash things... a piece of bubble wrap, straw, piece of pipe, sponge, toothpick, texture stamp, bottle lid, plastic cup... 
I knew I was going to do a Siamese cat on a blue background, so I kept that in mind as I chose my color palette for making the papers. 
They were all so pretty just like they were, it was kind of hard to know I was just going to cut them into little pieces.
Using acrylic is so different from using oils. I seem to make a different mess at every stage.
You see!  I knew shouldn't toss that little wire photo holder from the table of my son's rehearsal dinner five years ago.  It makes just the swirly stamper that I needed!


My art challenge this week was "Something Borrowed, Something Blue."  I wanted to try a second collage and wanted to do something similar to the bunny I learned on.  There aren't a lot of blue animals; however, my friend Sandra at mmmquilts has a cat with gorgeous blue eyes. She would be the star.  (Bella seems to be a cat who has refined artistic tastes. I told Sandra that she might not want to show this portrait to her unless she has a flare for some funky-feeling modern art as well.)  The only "something borrowed" I could think of was library books, so Bella got to perch on books instead of her usual quilts. 

Original Mixed Media Collage on 8"x 10: Canvas Board
Click "Meow!" if you'd like to purchase this fun little piece of art.

4 comments:

  1. I love this! It just makes me grin. Your Bella has an attitude, very similar to Sandra's Bella, I think. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad it looks very similar to Sandra's Bella... Because it IS Sandra's Bella! Ha ha ha

      Delete
  2. You've captured her so well with this oh-so-fun technique! Hope you're back at home safe and sound by now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There is certainly a fun and funky element to this style. And, yes! We made it home this afternoon.

      Delete